cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.pdf files not opening

.pdf files not opening

Michelle S.5
New member | Level 1

I use dropbox in my classroom every day.  A week or two ago I started having trouble opening my files.  I get a "can't open file. try again later." message.  It won't preview nor let me download the file. I thought it was a wifi block.  Turns out it's not.  I use the Surface Pro 3 and had an update Sept. 8th.  Since then I haven't been able to open any .pdf file through the app.  I can open then download from the website, but that's a big pain.  I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it still won't open those files.  They open on every other device, just not the app on the Surface.  I have already run a check and none of the files are corrupted and I was able to open them previously without a problem.  What more can I do?

29 Replies 29

Re: .pdf files not opening

James T.21
New member | Level 1

I just started having exactly the same problem with my Winbook, a Windows tablet running 8.1. I get the same message with Word documents as well as PDFs, but photos open with no problem in the Dropbox app.  Any ideas why?

barney d.1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem on my surface 2 tablet

James T.21
New member | Level 1

I wonder if it's a problem with a Windows update.  I've got a question in with Dropbox help, but haven't heard back from them yet.  I tried installing Office and shutting off my antivirus software, but nothing has worked so far.

Jeff L.38
New member | Level 1

I've been having this problem for a month on a Surface 3.  Anybody get an answer?  I've also uninstalled and reinstalled everything I could to no avail.

James T.21
New member | Level 1

I just got a message from Dropbox help today saying they were too busy to answer this question. Apparently the Windows version of their app isn't a big priority for them to maintain.  If anyone else gets any information on this, please post...

Dan T.18
New member | Level 1

Exactly the same problem on my surface 2, but only with Word docs. Anyone heard any news?

Dene H.
New member | Level 1

From windows RT perspective it's mighty frustrating - already we can't install the regular DropBox software and just save to and read from a regular folder and have DropBox take care of it. We must use the app, and it's not opening any files for me, with a similar error as described by multiple users above.

Patrick D.18
New member | Level 1

Same thing for me. Only on my Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet after I switched to the official business drop box for my institution. I wonder if I went back to my personal account if I could get work done from home. This is a major issue for drop box and they should take it seriously. The educational and corporate professional world has a major investment in windows machines and this kind of problem should be addressed promptly. DP, please fox promptly! Running 8.1 and not about to move to 10 so don't call a OS upgrade a fix.

James T.21
New member | Level 1

I just got an update for the Dropbox app on my Apple iPad.  Is there also an update for the Windows version of the Dropbox app as well?  If so, do the updates happen automatically?  I still can't open Word or PDF files, and it's been that way since September.  Very frustrating...

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

apraetor Super User
    zlatickoPhoebe New member | Level 2
    Sanchez Dropboxer
    vaughan1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?