cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Couldn't Load Content" in the tray windows

"Couldn't Load Content" in the tray windows

sgsahuque
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm having an issue wtih the tray window application. When I click on it I have a white windows and the text " Couldn't Load Content". I can't access the preference or the folder...

Drop Problem.PNG

I re-install a few time following the Dropbox full removal post but when i re-install that doesn't change every things....

Sebastien

17 Replies 17

Re: "Couldn't Load Content" in the tray windows

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @sgsahuque, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you let me know which version of the app you have installed? You should be able to see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Also, can you just clarify for me if you followed the steps to uninstall the desktop app, or to perform an advanced reinstall?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sgsahuque
Explorer | Level 3

Daphne,

My Dropbox is 102.4.431. Yes I had perform an advanced reinstall. I will try again.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @sgsahuque!

If you have any antivirus or firewall software on your device, can you try temporarily disabling this to see if that does the trick?

Otherwise, please check that these programs (if you have any) have the Dropbox domains whitelisted. You can find a list of the Dropbox domains here. You can also check if any of them are specifically blacklisted too.

If you have a firewall software, please also check out this article on how you can configure this to work with Dropbox.

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sgsahuque
Explorer | Level 3

Daphne,

I try desctivated the firewall and Windows Defender but that doesn't change anything.

My Dropbox is syncing fine ( as I can't use the tray application I manually switch between "Local" or "Online Copy" in the contextual menu "smart Sync" when I am on a folder) that just the tray application that is an empty window..

I think that is a glitch from Windows. I have on the ribbon some applications icon that will not show properly:

Drop Problem 2.PNG

Sebastien

sgsahuque
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, @Daphne 

Is there any other way to access the "Preferences" than by the "tray" menu?

Sebastien.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi Sebastien; I'm sorry to jump in.

I'm afraid there's no other way to access the desktop app's preferences other than the system tray on your computer.

That said, I was also wondering if you'd be willing to remove some of those faulty shortcuts to apps you're using and/or even uninstalling some of those to see if they're messing up your computer somehow.

Keep us posted and have a wonderful weekend in the meantime @sgsahuque

PS: Alternatively, you could try creating a new OS profile on your computer and install and run the desktop app there to see how it goes. If it works on the new OS profile, then, there's some misconfiguration, setting or policy that's causing this issue on your original OS profile. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Markatcellc
New member | Level 2

This is my first time in the commuty so I hope I'm not breaking protocol.  I've been having a very similar problem running on a Windows 2012 server platform.  It worked fine for over a year until last week 8/06/20.   Turned off firewall and disabled antivirus to no avail. Dropbox synced but had no access to the menu box.  zgot the exact same "couldn't load content" meassge ina white box.  We did a couple of re-installs and finally installed an older version, got it to work for a few minutes until Dropbox updated itself.  Now it stops syncing sporatically (2 -3 times a day), but hovering over the icon still reads "up to date" although it actually stopped syncing.  My guess is it is freezing and not updating the icon.  I can log off and log on (not even a full shutdown) and get it to start syncing again, but never know when it will stop, and can't tell from the icon. 

I realize DB is not officially supported on a server, but it work great for well over ayear.  I would like to solve this, otherwise i need to switch to another service, but would rather not.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @sgsahuque, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Out of curiosity, could you replicate the issue on a different computer with a supported OS?

Could you also send me a screenshot (without personal info) of the error message?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sgsahuque
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Lusil,

I have Dropbox install and my second computer and it is working fine. @Walter, from the community suggested to try on another account to see if that working but I didn't get to try yet ( I planned on doing that this week end)

Here a screen shot :

Drop Problem (Tray).PNG

Sebastien

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    sgsahuque Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?