cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"Couldn't start Dropbox" permissions loop

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So I got a new Mac in the fall, foolishly tried to move things like my Library from my elderly Hackintosh by hand, and have been fighting permissions errors and weird little issues ever since. A relatively recent one that's cropped up is this Dropbox message:

"Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error..." and so on.

Things of note:

1) Dropbox is running. It runs before, during, and after this error just fine, keeping all my files up to date and so far as I can tell doing everything it's supposed to. It just pops an error window at random, frequent intervals.

2) My home folder is not on a network share, but it is on a different hard drive within the same computer. Errors did not start when I moved it there, though.

3) I have reinstalled Dropbox several times and run through the manual permissions reset via Terminal several times also.

4) Checking my systems console provides a whole fascinating realm of things I know nothing about, but after a few times I *have* noticed a line that seems to occur whenever this error message pops: "SQLite[14]: <private>". The process is quicklookd but hey, it's all greek to me anyway.

5) Checking my Activity Monitor shows that a short-lived Dropbox process pops up whenever this error message does and dies when I click "OK". There's another, seemingly identical one that keeps running throughout unmolested.

I mean, Dropbox is still doing its thing so there's only so much complaining I can do, but the constant error messages are driving me a little crazy. Does anyone have any idea what I've done to cause this? Could there be a vestigial version of Dropbox somewhere that keeps trying and failing to start up? If so, what do I need to do to make it bugger off?

Any help much appreciated! I've screenshotted the error, my Activity Monitor, and my Console below.

Screenshot 2018-03-08 06.38.19.png

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: "Couldn't start Dropbox" permissions loop

Super User II
Super User II

Do a complete uninstall and reinstall. Use the procedure listed in the following post:

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?