cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dropbox Update Installation failed with error 0x80070005"

"Dropbox Update Installation failed with error 0x80070005"

DroppingJ
Explorer | Level 3

I have an old computer with an installation of Windows 7 SP1. The other day, I fired it up, and when I tried to use DropBox, a message displayed saying something to the effect that the installed version was too old. The dialog box gave me the option to update or exit.

I could see, however, that Dropbox was continuing to operate in the background, and soon announced that it was uploading thousands of files, and indexing tens of thousands of files. I  didn’t have time to wait for that, because I wanted to shut down the computer. However, I decided to update DB, so it would be ready the next time I wanted to use it. Therefore, I uninstalled, and then removed any remaining folders, as well as entries in the Registry, containing the string “Dropbox.”

Once I had a clean disk, I downloaded the installer, but found that it failed at the end with the message, “Dropbox Update Installation failed with error 0x80070005.” This was strange, since there was no longer any installation to be updated. I thought I might be able to work around the problem by trying the offline installer, but I got the same response.

How can I now install Dropbox on my computer?

3 Replies 3

Re: "Dropbox Update Installation failed with error 0x80070005"

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @DroppingJ, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I did a quick search regarding the 0x80070005 error, and I found that it's related to Windows updates. 

It also mentions that it generally happens when the system or user doesn't have the required files or permissions to change settings at the time of Windows update.

Could you please check if your OS doesn't have any pending updates that need to be done? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DroppingJ
Explorer | Level 3

I probably saw the same Google search results that you did. That error code appears in many situations, many of which are related to Windows Updates. However, the Dropbox installer is not dependent on Windows Updates being current. I've successfully updated other machines which did not, like the one where I've had the problem, have all updates installed.

Now, with the program uninstalled, updating isn't a possibility, though the error message insists that the problem involves a "Dropbox Update Installation." My guess is that something is telling the installer to perform an update, and then, when it tries to do so, it finds that the expected files aren't available.

I'm not sure what the skills of Forum Moderators are, so please tell me if this is something for which I should prepare an email to DropBox support, or if I should try to troubleshoot the problem with you.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @DroppingJ

You can try an advanced reinstall to see if that does the trick. 

If it doesn't, I'm more than happy to send you an email to the address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a better look into it. 

Let meknow how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?