cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dropbox needs to change permissions" message on startup

"Dropbox needs to change permissions" message on startup

Rachel R.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Lately, every time I start my Mac (OS 10.14.6) I get a message that reads (in full): 

"Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/[name]/Dropbox

Enter your password to allow this"

(I would attach a screenshot here but I can't figure out how.)

I enter the password and all is well, but it happens Every. Single. Time. I start my computer. After checking here for ideas, I checked for symlinks (there are none) and reinstalled Dropbox (so I am now running the latest version), but that has not helped at all. What now?

58 Replies 58

endnoter
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem.  Every time at boot up.  Hopefully someone will find the solution.

jorn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When I do this, I get a couple of directories I cannot change, presumably because that was the intent of the owner. 

chown: /Users/[user]/Dropbox/Share/[some-dir]/[some-file].xlsx: Operation not permitted

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@jorn wrote:

..., presumably because that was the intent of the owner. ...

😃 Yes, when particular content is shared by somebody (from other account), it could get limited rights to edit by the sharer; but once some files get in your device who is the content owner (from local system point of view, not from Dropbox service)? 🤔 😁 Definitely, not the owner (according Dropbox) is owning YOUR files locally (by assumption there isn't some distant direct connection, making the distant user a local too). 😉 Don't mix 2 different things!

It's always better be known actual command producing a cited output. There can be some error! If you afraid for privacy, the path can be mangled too (within the post), but the command structure should be left unchanged. You can check who is the "owner" by following command (mangled according your scheme):

ls -l ~/Dropbox/Share/[some-dir]/[some-file].xlsx; id

Result will show you (and to us too, if your share it on a post) who is the owner and if that owner is yourself (eventual matching the results). Permissions, currently set, would be seen too. 😉

Hope this gives a direction.

jorn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm getting 

-rw-------@ 1 jornroot  staff

for that file. But, interestingly enough, I have that for (all the) other files in that dir. But only that one tosses me the error. 😕  

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Ok @jorn,

If you are so afraid to post something, try solving the issue yourself. From your last post the only thing visible is that the owner is "jornroot" and the access rights are enough. 🤷

Good luck.

jorn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm not sure why responding to my post with an insult about not posting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  was either helpful or polite, nor even necessary,  but I'm optimistic somebody will come along soon with some insight. 

Samsam
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So Apple insisted on auto-updating my contact details by a name I don't use. 

They told world my name is James Newman, but I go by my second name ANDREW Newman.

This confuses my friends who have no idea who James is and why he is in their phone contact lists! They also lose my name and number!

Apple advised that the only way to stop this was to change all references deep in the belly of my mac

from user/jamesnewman/ 

to user/andrewnewman/

Since making that change Dropbox hasn't worked in the folders on my mac.

It presents the password request below on a repeating loop, but because the user/jamesnewman/ no longer exists, the permission cannot get updated.

When I enter the password, the box goes away, but nothing happens.

When I reopen DB, I get the prompt again.

90 minutes of chatting to apple support and trying various things hasn't helped.

We've tried

• delete app from mac
  • delete folders 
  • reinstall

Any ninja ideas?

IMG-1571.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Samsam, I hope you're doing well!

I've merged your post into this thread, in order to keep all the questions regarding this in the same place. 

Can you try the steps suggested here, and let me know how it works out for you? 

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

uzer123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The solution in this thread, as other threads i've read, didn't work.

But, what worked was:

1) go in your Users folder and create a new folder with the same name as your old user (the own that the Dropbox alert is searching)

2) then open dropbox

3) BACKUP your dropbox folder just in case

4) if you have reached the 3 users, sign out this computer and try do the same steps as the first time your run Dropbox, but choose your new_user folder 

5) the Dropbox will work nice and will re-sync all your files (that you already have in place) using the /Users/new_user/Dropbox folder

6) delete your Users/old_name folder

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

uzer123 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Samsam Explorer | Level 4
    jorn Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?