cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dropbox won't start" message on MacBook M1

"Dropbox won't start" message on MacBook M1

WT2100
Explorer | Level 3

DB won't start on my M1. I migrated my user from a time machine backup. I found old references to rebuilding permissions through the DB app, but the app won't stay started, so that doesn't work. I tried re-installing the DB app and that didn't help either. I've updated to Big Sur 11.1, and still no luck.

And suggestions?

5 Replies 5

Re: "Dropbox won't start" message on MacBook M1

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @WT2100, thanks for messaging the Community!

When you reinstalled the app, did you perform an advanced reinstallation, using these steps?

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try it and let me know how it goes?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WT2100
Explorer | Level 3

Step #4 says

"Delete the remaining Dropbox system folders"

What does that mean? Content folders, or something in the library folder or something else?

Jay
Dropboxer

These would be the folders the Dropbox desktop application installs itself on, generally in Windows machines. On a Mac device, deleting the app itself from the Applications folder should be enough.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NotAnExpert
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting this information here and for helpfully listing the link to advanced reinstall instructions. I followed the instructions posted at that link and still saw the "cannot open" error message on my laptop. Could you suggest other steps? I'm not a computer expert by any standards (I just know how to use my standard software) and am hoping some new steps have been introduced by Dropbox since this past was first created.

In case it's helpful, I am working with the new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip and have a professional plan for my Dropbox. I use Dropbox pretty heavily for work and resolving this (or figuring out that Dropbox is incapable of working on M1 chip) is a high priority right now.

Thanks so much for any help you could provide.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @NotAnExpert, the advanced reinstallation should've helped. 

If you're still getting the error message, and have a Dropbox Professional plan, try contacting the support team directly for further assistance on this matter. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    NotAnExpert Explorer | Level 3
    WT2100 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?