cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Move" option in Sync Preference gone! Can't change the location of my dropbox folder!

"Move" option in Sync Preference gone! Can't change the location of my dropbox folder!

kmartinf
Explorer | Level 3

The new dropbox Sync Preference tabs" have remove the "move" option. Now only "Smart Sync/ "save hard drive space automatically" / "Selective sync" are located in this section.

How do I move my Dropbox folder location? (windows)

---

note: I have my hard drive partition into multiple drives, so it can not remain in the "C:/" drive.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Move" option in Sync Preference gone! Can't change the location of my dropbox folder!

Rich
Super User II

Uninstall Dropbox if it's installed. Rename your existing Dropbox folder on E: to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and use the Advanced options link during the install to select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder (it appears at the bottom after you sign-in to your account). When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it find. Be patient and LET IT WORK.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Re: "Move" option in Sync Preference gone! Can't change the location of my dropbox folder!

Mark
Super User II

It is still on that screen, but, at the very bottom of it.

You may need to make sure your screen resolution is high enough to show all of that window

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @kmartinf, I just wanted to follow up on this and check on your progress.

Did you have a look at what @Mark mentions? Were you able to resolve your concern?

If you're still having trouble with this or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a nudge. Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SeoulGalVP
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I have the same issue. I have my OS on my small C: drive (SSD) and need everything else to sync to my E: drive. There is definitely no Move option. Please can somebody advise further? I'm using Windows 10. I only just got my computer back after Dropbox took up all the space on my C: drive and killed Windows. I couldn't access the computer at all. It's taken 2 weeks to get this sorted and now that I have it back I cannot risk it happening again so it's crucial nothing syncs to my C: drive.

I hope somebody can help. 🙂

Thanks, Julie

SeoulGalVP
Explorer | Level 4

Update: I found another set of instructions and this time the sync tab did have a Dropbox Folder Location option. I'm not sure what the difference was but it wasn't there before, I have a photo as proof!

The problem now is that before my computer crashed, I had spent days syncing all my files to my E: drive. My E: drive is safe and all the files are there in the Dropbox folder. I had to reinstall Dropbox onto my computer today and of course it automatically tried to sync to C:. I've paused it and am trying to get it to go back to where it was on E:. However, when selecting to move my Dropbox save location there it says the folder already exists and asks me to choose a different location! This is pointless as I just want to point it to the existing Dropbox folder and need it to recognise what's already there, not duplicate over 1TB of data in yet another location. Does anybody know how to solve this? 

Rich
Super User II

Uninstall Dropbox if it's installed. Rename your existing Dropbox folder on E: to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and use the Advanced options link during the install to select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder (it appears at the bottom after you sign-in to your account). When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it find. Be patient and LET IT WORK.

SeoulGalVP
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you so, so much for your help. I followed your steps exactly. That Advanced Options part is absolutely perfect and what I had been looking for. It all seems to be syncing happily so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll all continue as it should. 🙂

SeoulGalVP
Explorer | Level 4

Update: Unfortunately this hasn't worked after all. It's synced the files on the computer I've had to make the changes on but it's also created confliced copies of every single file on the other 3 computers using that Dropbox account. I managed to stop it when it reached 900! I'm just going to have to delete the lot and start over. Thanks anyway.

dianjo
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem - the instructions for moving Dropbox to another partition don't work because there is no MOVE option in Settings - Personal Acount - Preferences.

The solutions suggested here seem to involve uninstalling Dropbox and reinstalling to the new location.  I don't want to move the application - just the files. 

Is it really not possible to move them within the existing installation?

Thanks for any help

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @dianjo, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

After you go into your desktop app's Preferences, you need to go to the Sync tab and the move option should be there. 

If it's not, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you do see? 

Keep me posted - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    dianjo New member | Level 2
    SeoulGalVP Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?