cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Online Only" not truly online only?

"Online Only" not truly online only?

gjohnsonfamily
Explorer | Level 3

I decided to move to Dropbox because iCloud only did a selective sync and I wanted to move ALL my files to the cloud.  To make sure I was doing it correctly I called Support and spoke with Monty and Dorothy.  They told me to set all files to “Online only" and wait for the sync status to say “Up to date” and then make sure all the files had a "cloud" icon next to them.  Check.

But my disk is still full.  What’s going on?  

8 Replies 8

Re: "Online Only" not truly online only?

Mark
Super User II

It takes time for the online only to apply and files are stored locally in a cache for a few days to make sure its all worked correctly and there is no data loss. 

Give it time and your drive space will clear. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

gjohnsonfamily
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Mark.  Patience it is!   

gjohnsonfamily
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark, quick follow-up...

All of my folders are "online only" and have had the Cloud icon since Friday morning -- but available memory hasn't increased at all (not even a kb), and it's Monday afternoon.  I would think that some memory would have freed-up gradually?  I'm on a very high-speed network.

What/when can I expect movement?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @gjohnsonfamily, just jumping in here.

The cache folder should be emptied every few days.

If your desktop app is showing "Up to date" and everything is now synced, you can try manually clearing the cache folder to see if that helps.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gjohnsonfamily
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne!

Thanks for jumping in -- anytime.

I found the cache and it had ~300gb which was the amount epected, so I nuked the cache and immediately checked disk size again -- no change.  But I had forgotten to empty the trash!  Duh.  Now storage is back where it needs to be.  Thank you very much for the suggestion. 

So, I have a question going forward.  I still have over a terabyte of data that I need to upload and I don't want to repeat the past.  My scenario is perhaps the simplest of all -- I just need Dropbox as an offsite archive.  Here's what I've been told by different members in Support, could you guide me...?

1. Smart Sync can create logical/physical discrepancies -- so avoid it if possible.

2. Selective Sync (by un-selecting all the folders) will upload everything AND not manifest the logical/physical problem.  This doesn't make total sense to me. 

3. Drag folders directly to Dropbox.com.  This would seem to avoid the whole issue altogether, and if Selective Sync is on then a fodler will show up in Finder anyway.

I'm leaning #3.  What do you recommend?

Gary

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that worked @gjohnsonfamily!

Since you're wanting to upload quite a large amount of data, I would recommend using the desktop app to do this rather than the website.

You can upload 50 GB at a time or less via the website. Should the upload time-out you would need to start the upload again too, whereas the app can resume syncing.

You can move a little less data than your hard drive has free to the Dropbox folder. Once the app shows "Up to date", you can then apply Selective Sync to remove the local copy.

If you need to, you can also clear the cache folder again to free up some space for the next upload.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gjohnsonfamily
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Daphne!  One last question...

In my particular situation it sounds like I should avoid Smart Sync altogether and simply drag folders to the desktop app, apply Selective Sync as my hard drive fills up, and then delete the cache folder when I'm out of space completely.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  This will help me avoid the physical/logical issue mentioned by Support.

Sound right?

Daphne
Dropboxer

If you're running a Mac device with 10.14 or higher, you might see that the OS doesn't correctly report the physical size of the file on the disk as mentioned here.

We have an opt-in beta at the moment to resolve this issue, but using Selective Sync will probably be the quickest way to make sure that you have the space you need while doing this initial upload.

The most important point I'd like to highlight when doing this is to make sure that the desktop app has finished syncing and showing "Up to date" before using Selective Sync.

Otherwise, this seems like to quickest way to get you set up at the moment @gjohnsonfamily, and it seems like you've got the right idea there.

In the meantime, I hope you have a great weekend!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    gjohnsonfamily Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?