cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"Online only" (even as admin setting); but after new install OS, dropbox app keeps syncing

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, a quick question. 

We have a dropbox business account. I needed to reinstall OS.

In Admin panel; Smart sync - 'Start new files as online-only' is active. 
But dropbox app says 'syncing 350.456 files' (and counting).

Is this normal and will all files be synced to my computer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: "Online only" (even as admin setting); but after new install OS, dropbox app keeps syn

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Oh... I see. I misunderstood. I thought that you plan to reinstall...

In such a case, just fileses 'places' will be created. No actual files download. Could take some time.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: "Online only" (even as admin setting); but after new install OS, dropbox app keeps syn

Hi @Stijn_Pauwels,

Important question here is: Are the files syncing to or from your computer?! If everything initially put in Dropbox directory on your computer is in sync then you can stop the application and continue after that safely. If you (or somebody else) put something in Dropbox directory recently and that is syncing, then better wait sync completed before application stop.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

hello,

it's a brand new OS install and dropbox install. So i think everything is syncing 'to' the computer. But in the admin (and setup asked me that question to) there is standard 'online only' as the main setting for syncing.

all the best

Highlighted

Oh... I see. I misunderstood. I thought that you plan to reinstall...

In such a case, just fileses 'places' will be created. No actual files download. Could take some time.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Stijn_Pauwels,

As @Здравко also mentioned, if you've set the files to be synced as online-only, then the desktop app is trying to add the files' placeholders into your Dropbox folder. 

If you're still having some trouble with this or if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to us. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks a lot.

You were completely right. It just took some time for placeholders to sync (hence my scare).

took almost a full day of syncing but all is fine now.

Thanks for all your help! very much appreciated. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, if there's anything else we can help with in the future, just give us a nudge.

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead, @Stijn_Pauwels

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?