cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hey folks,

When viewing dropbox files from the Safari browser (Safari v 13.0) I can no longer see the "Show in Finder" or 'Open in Word" / "Open in Adobe Acrobat" options for files. 

I also have Chrome installed on my Mac (v77.0.3865.90) and I can confirm that these DO work on Chrome. See pics below.

These items used to show in Safari, however it seems that after updating to Safari v13.0 this has stopped working. 

Any ideas for resolution would be gratefully received as Safari is my default browser. 

Cheers,

Scott

Safari Browser.png

Chrome Browser 1.png

109 Replies 109

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
If it’s so important and you’re actively working on it (for over a year), can you at least share with us what the root of the problem is? Some kind of setting or use of code within Safari? Is Apple somehow preventing you from showing the ‘open in finder’ button or does it prevent you from the functionality of the button and you had to disable it because of that?

Can you provide any more information than the standard ‘we’re working on it’ we’ve been hearing for over a year?

drshero
Helpful | Level 5

I'm having the same problem.

I just switched (back) to Safari as my default browser, because it is more secure than Chrome and uses less system resources. The "Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" feature is critical to my work. We send dropbox links through Slack daily, and when clicked, they open in the default browser. Without the "Open in Finder" feature, I have to do multiple steps and clicks to search for the file manually. I would love to see this feature restored in Safari.

Thanks to those who have been raising this issue since 2019--I'm just adding my voice to ask for a fix so that DB is fully-functional in Safari.

dgreeney
Helpful | Level 6

Outrageous that this is still an issue, close to 2 years in.  "Open in Finder" is mission critical for many of us.  Worked for years in Safari.  Works fine in Chrome.  What is the holdup here with getting this resolved?

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Yes this is still a daily frustration. Is there any update @Lusil?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi everyone, there are no updates on this matter other than the Dropbox engineers are still working on a solution to this issue.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JR25
Helpful | Level 5

Please fix this issue Dropbox!

PR8
Helpful | Level 6

Having the Show In Finder and Open In Microsoft Word in Chrome and not in Safari requires us to take additional steps and additional time to use DB. This affects our efficiency and makes it more aggravating to work in DB. In our case our default browser is Safari so having to use Chrome takes extra steps. Please add these features to Safari as soon as you possibly can. Thanks.

geosinclair
Helpful | Level 5

Any updates to this ongoing problem? Multiple updates to dropbox and safari lately, seems ripe for the devs to fix this issue (safari is the second most popular browser in the US after all, c'mon). 

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

@Jay - do you have any updates in terms of timeframe that you can share for the resolution of this long-standing problem?

Thanks.

edelvr
Explorer | Level 4

Works in Chrome browser, not in Brave browser..

Need more support?