cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Open in Finder" not showing in Microsoft Edge

"Open in Finder" not showing in Microsoft Edge

jondotcom
Explorer | Level 4

Not sure if it's the same underlying issue, but I am experiencing the same behavior on Microsoft Edge (Canary) 79.0.309.71 using Mac OS 10.15.2.

Google Chrome 79.0.3945.130 shows the "Show in Finder" option as expected, but Edge does not. I am signed into my Dropbox for Business acount on both browsers accessing the same JPG file.

8 Replies 8

Re: 'Open in finder' not available on Safari browser

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @jondotcom, I hope you're well today!

I just moved your post here and it seems like you're having a slightly different issue than the original thread you posted in.

As a first step, can you just make sure that you don't have any pending updates for your Microsoft Edge browser? From what I could find, 80.x should be the latest version.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jondotcom
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne thank you for moving the post into its own thread.

To answer your question, I am running the latest version of Edge.Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.49.33 AM.png

When viewing a file on dropbox.com in Edge, either through the right-click context menu ("View on Dropbox.com") or via a shared link from a team member to a file that is stored in my Dropbox, it fails to show "View in Finder".

A few other details:

• Microsoft Edge is set as my default browser
  • The file type does not seem to matter (a PSD file is shown in the example below)
  • I am logged in to my Dropbox for Business account on both Chrome & Edge
  • The additional "Open" options (including "Show in Finder" aren't appearing in FireFox and Safari either

Google Chrome

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.53.37 AM.png

Microsoft Edge / FireFox / Safari

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.53.53 AM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with those screenshots @jondotcom!

Can you let me know if you have Flash Player 10 or higher also installed for your browser? It will also need to be enabled for the Dropbox website.

If you're still having issues after this, can you try temporarily disabling any antivirus or firewall programs to see if that helps?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jondotcom
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne I can confirm I'm running Flash, as evidenced by this Flash test provided by Adobe:

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.49.33 PM.png

To enable Flash, I had to turn on the following setting in Edge:

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.57.51 PM.png

Then after visiting the Flash test page on Adobe's site I was prompted by the website to allow the Flash plugin to run:

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.57.12 PM.png

After I allow it, I get the confirmation above.

However, at no point am I ever prompted by the Dropbox site to allow the Flash plugin to run, and the "Show in Finder" doesn't show in my list of options on files on dropbox.com.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.53.31 PM.png

Lastly, I am not running any firewall or anti-virus software. I only have uBlock Origin (ad block browser plug-in) installed, though it's disabled.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that out @jondotcom!

Can you let me know if you see the jigsaw icon appear in your address bar at all when visiting www.dropbox.com?

Are you able to specifically "Allow" the Dropbox website through the settings?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

jondotcom
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne I do not get the jigsaw icon or a prompt on the Dropbox website. Also, there is no way to manually add allowed websites to Flash in Microsoft Edge; they get added when you "Allow" the plug-in to run when being prompted.

Being prompted by www.google.com to run Flash in Microsoft Edge for MacOS:

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 11.00.34 AM.png

Not being prompted by Dropbox.com to run Flash in Microsoft Edge for MacOS:

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.57.45 AM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'd like to have a better look into this with you @jondotcom, so I've reached out to the email linked with you profile here.

If you'd like to, please check your inbox when you have the chance and we can continue from there.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

jondotcom
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne I haven't received any sort of follow-up to this issue from the Dropbox team. Is this still being researched?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?