cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Start Dropbox on system startup", Windows 10

"Start Dropbox on system startup", Windows 10

mc04
Explorer | Level 3

2018-12-13.png2018-12-13 (1).png

5 Replies 5

Re: "Start Dropbox on system startup", Windows 10

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, this isn’t actually the Dropbox desktop application that you’re seeing in the task manager, which starts the syncing, but another process related to Dropbox.

Has this process affected your CPU time in any way? Any details you can provide would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mc04
Explorer | Level 3

Yeah, I don't really care what it's doing, when I select 'don't run at startup' I expect it to not run at startup.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll forward it to our dev team for their consideration to improve the app further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mc04
Explorer | Level 3

I'd rate that as pretty unlikely; I've disovered since posting this that it's been doing this for literally years, as well as re-enabling itself and shoving itself into the autoruns. This is malware.

Jay
Dropboxer
I’ve checked with our team on this matter for more clarification on what it does.

The Dropbox service simply needs to “be there” at startup (but won’t do anything) even when the actual app doesn’t start, so that the app can have all features and functionality available if it’s started manually later.

The service can be stopped, however, from the Windows Service Management Console, if needed, but this may or may not affect the app later on before a restart. 

I hope that this information helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    mc04 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?