cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "This computer is already linked to a Dropbox account" - except db client seems not to

"This computer is already linked to a Dropbox account" - except the desktop app seems not to be

BogBeast1
Explorer | Level 4

I have had DB free installed on the same 5 Xubuntu machines for years. From before the time of the 3 host limit, so they have been working fine.

Now, I suspect after some updates, the db client is starting and does not seem to be linked to an account. So, It starts the browser and then tries to launch the web based link method. Except the website throws "This computer is already linked to a Dropbox account" error. So the web site seems to think the machine is still linked.

v95.4.441 of the client on 18.04 LTS

I can't unlink the clients because it doesn't think its linked. Also, I don't want to remove dropbox and re-install as I don't want to be limited to just 3 machines..

Is there a way to persuade the client it is linked ?

Thx

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BogBeast1; happy Monday!

@BogBeast1 wrote:

I can't unlink the clients because it doesn't think its linked. Also, I don't want to remove dropbox and re-install as I don't want to be limited to just 3 machines..

Can you please elaborate on this part for me or forward me a screenshot of the problem so I can have a look too?

As you know, if you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked normally, however, if you'd like or need to link a new device - or re-link a previously linked device - you must unlink devices until you come below your limit. After this you can link your new devices, up to the limit of three.

You can see the list of your connected devices here: 

Additionally, you can sign-in to your Dropbox account and access your files on any device through our website at www.dropbox.com.

That said, have you tried this with another browser as the default one to exclude browser specific issues?

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

BogBeast1
Explorer | Level 4

Ok. So I am trying to logon to the DB website and I am unable to.  My password no longer works. 

When I try a reset I get a "Sorry, this account is disabled."

I guess this must be the reason. How come my account is disabled? - it's in use every day

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info @BogBeast1.

Can you also post a screenshot of the exact error you get so we can have a visual too?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

BogBeast1
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the help @Walter 

One of the machines is a VM which I have a snapshot for. If a revert to an earlier snap, dropbox connects fine and syncs. The client installed in the snap is a v92 client.

At some point, the db client seems to auto-update without asking to v95.4.441. At that point, the client is no longer linked and it auto launches the browser to try and link

3.png

Here I am kinda stuck. cant unlink or link...

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information and the visual aid @BogBeast1!

I won't be able to indicate whether this would work fully as expected as this is third party software and may have unexpected configurations. We do have some general recommendations that may help though when it comes to using Virtual Machines. 

For our deskopt app to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an Operating System (OS) that is not part of a Shared Session. If installing into a virtual environment, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual desktop or virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. The Dropbox folder should also be located on the same mounted drive that is running the virtual machine or virtual desktop.

Please be aware that if you install Dropbox on a virtual machine or virtual desktop that are non-persistent, such that they are reset on a schedule or after logging off, Dropbox may be logged out and need to resync everytime this occurs.

While we're at it, you could try changing your default browser to see if this improves matter at all. 

I know it's not much, but I hope this helps! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

BogBeast1
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Walter 

I have tried a different browser and there is no change. 

FYi I have the same issue on other machines which are physical, so I don't believe it related to the Vm

I fear that it is all to do with my account being locked - I have logged a call with support to see why, but I don't know how long it will take.

I think I will have to look at another solution for file sync...

Need more support?