cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing dropbox from laptop and linking another account

removing dropbox from laptop and linking another account

dskogg
Explorer | Level 3

I have a dropbox account showing up in my folders on my laptop but i want another account there instead.

How do i remove this one and link another one?  Does it have to be done online?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: removing dropbox from laptop and linking another account

Mark
Super User II
Follow these instructions to unlink: https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/unlink-relink-computer-mobile
Then delete (or move) all of the files and folders in the 'Dropbox' directory
Follow the instructions above again to relink to the account you want.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey dskogg, I was able to run a search internally on my end & I could see that you’ve already submitted a ticket & you’re currently in direct communication with a colleague via email. 

I can see that they’ve replied to you on this conversation, asking some additional details, so that you determine what’s happening together. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for our latest message and let me know here if can't find it, so that I make sure to send that again? 

Of course, I’m also here in case you need further assistance, so don’t hesitate to keep me updated on the progress on this discussion. Thanks again! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Follow these instructions to unlink: https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/unlink-relink-computer-mobile
Then delete (or move) all of the files and folders in the 'Dropbox' directory
Follow the instructions above again to relink to the account you want.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey dskogg, thanks for checking in with us on the Community, and welcome aboard! I just wanted to follow-up on this matter!

Have you been able to carry out Mark’s suggestion? I just wanted to add that when you unlink or relink a computer to Dropbox, the previous files & folders are not removed from your Dropbox folder and a new one is created to host your info. 

Please keep us updated here, so as to look into the matter together. Hope you have a wonderful day, take care!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dskogg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi lusil, i managed to unlink old account and link new one...the only problem is it is downloading all content to my laptop and i moved the drop box from my solid state drive that was now full to my other drive...today my solid state drive is full again and other people in the group can not access the files?  

If i unlink dropbox from my laptop do the files go back to the cloud?  Will they still be available?

Rich
Super User II

@dskogg wrote:

the only problem is it is downloading all content to my laptop and i moved the drop box from my solid state drive that was now full to my other drive...today my solid state drive is full again and other people in the group can not access the files?

How did you move the Dropbox folder off of your SSD? If you just moved it manually, as you would any other file or folder, then Dropbox won't know that it's been moved and will continue to try using the original location. You need to move it by using the Move option found in Dropbox Preferences.

If i unlink dropbox from my laptop do the files go back to the cloud?  Will they still be available?

No. If you unlink Dropbox from your laptop, that severs all connection between the files on your computer and those in your account online. Syncing will stop. Any changes to the files that haven't already uploaded to Dropbox will not upload.

It sounds like the best course of action will be to first backup any files that haven't uploaded to your Dropbox account (I'd backup your entire Dropbox folder just to be safe), then uninstall Dropbox from your computer. Rename any existing copy of the Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar, then reinstall Dropbox. During the installation you'll see an Advanced Options link that will allow you to specify a different location for your Dropbox folder. Use that and specify a location that's not on your SSD. Just note that external drives are not officially supported and have been known to cause problems with Dropbox.

Once you've reintsalled Dropbox and it's syncing to the proper location, you can go back and check to make sure all of your updated files are there. If they're not, you'll have them saved in the backup you made, or the Dropbox_OLD folder(s).

dskogg
Explorer | Level 3

i unlinked dropbox from my laptop...shoud i relink it.

why do i have the only copy of the files and folders?

Rich
Super User II

@dskogg wrote:

i unlinked dropbox from my laptop...shoud i relink it.

It's my opinion that you should follow the steps that I outlined above.

why do i have the only copy of the files and folders?

Probably because Dropbox wasn't syncing properly, and that's probably because you tried to move the Dropbox folder.

dskogg
Explorer | Level 3

HI Rich, but now i have unlinked the dropbox from my laptop....should i relink that first?

dskogg
Explorer | Level 3

if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, i need to have files accessible to the rest of my group.

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey dskogg, I was able to run a search internally on my end & I could see that you’ve already submitted a ticket & you’re currently in direct communication with a colleague via email. 

I can see that they’ve replied to you on this conversation, asking some additional details, so that you determine what’s happening together. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for our latest message and let me know here if can't find it, so that I make sure to send that again? 

Of course, I’m also here in case you need further assistance, so don’t hesitate to keep me updated on the progress on this discussion. Thanks again! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    dskogg Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?