cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing synched machines

replacing synched machines

Vahe
Explorer | Level 3

I am grandfathered in with more than 3 devices with a basic account which is used for teaching. Due to COVID, I don't have access to 2 of my machines (and they will be retired). Is it possible for me to replace those with the two new machines I have at home?

I am not trying to add additional machines -- just trying to replace the ones that are no longer available. I know that I can add machines if I reduce the total (as long as it is no more than 3 at the end). I had not realized that there was a 3-machine limit until now as I had not done a new Dropbox install since 2017.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: replacing synched machines

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Vahe,

When you try add a new machine and you have touched already the limit, a prompt will invite you select which one (connected till now) to remove. So, you can select one of the machines for 'retirement'. This is the simplest way, I think. Also, you can remove all machines for 'retirement' from here in advance; touch on the trash icon next to the corresponding device name.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко

Hi @Vahe,

When you try add a new machine and you have touched already the limit, a prompt will invite you select which one (connected till now) to remove. So, you can select one of the machines for 'retirement'. This is the simplest way, I think. Also, you can remove all machines for 'retirement' from here in advance; touch on the trash icon next to the corresponding device name.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Vahe
Explorer | Level 3

Unfortunately, it asks me to remove all but 2 devices so I can add the new device. It does not let me delete just one machine (which is unreachable now) and replace it with my new machine. It does not allow me to replace one-to-one.

Maybe I am not doing it exactly the way that you suggested. I downloaded the dropbox installer on the new machine and I am following the install procedure. 

Здравко

@Vahe wrote:

Unfortunately, it asks me to remove all but 2 devices so I can add the new device. It does not let me delete just one machine (which is unreachable now) and replace it with my new machine. It does not allow me to replace one-to-one.

Ok, above  are noted 2 ways. If the first don't work for you, did you try the second one (removing all for 'retirement')?

Vahe
Explorer | Level 3

If I remove all machines and retire them, I will be in big trouble as I have a number of machines that I use that are on that list. I am afraid that if I remove all of them, I will have trouble adding them back (there are 5 of them).

The new machine that I build is supposed to replace my office machine and this is the one that I am trying to add.

I think what I am trying to do is not possible but thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

My issue is that I really don't need several hundred GB of storage but I need multiple devices ( > 3 ) so I don't know if I can justify the move to the paid Dropbox at this moment.

Vahe

Здравко

Ah.. Yes, you are right! At the beginning you declared that 2 machines have to be replaced, but my assumption was that you have 3 devices at all. As you can't fall below 3 devices you can't add any new device/connection, according to added limitation, unfortunately. A workaround could be a new account, add new devices to the just created account and share the initial account's content with the new one.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?