cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selective sync on a new PCs

selective sync on a new PCs

JesperGroth
New member | Level 2

Hi. I have a problem when adding an existing account to a new PC.
Our corporate Dropbox (business) is quite large, so after installing the app, it starts syncing everything and filling up the Hard Drive before I can deselect certain folders in Selective sync. When Hard drive is full it seems to lock the whole thing. Any way to come around this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: selective sync on a new PCs

Walter
Dropboxer

You should be able to pause the sync and apply your Selective Sync settings normally during the installation process @JesperGroth

Could you give this a go and let me know if it helped? 

Also, as you said you're on a business plan, have you heard about our Smart Sync feature? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropboxer

You should be able to pause the sync and apply your Selective Sync settings normally during the installation process @JesperGroth

Could you give this a go and let me know if it helped? 

Also, as you said you're on a business plan, have you heard about our Smart Sync feature? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

JesperGroth
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the answer. The problem was the user did not press Pause, and then it filled up the Hard drive and locked up everything. I could not pause syncing or deselect folder when it was in "Hard Drive full " state.
I had to uninstall the dropbox app, and remove the PC from the users account. And then start over.
Yes. we are aware of the Smart Sync feature, but havent enablet yet.

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about it @JesperGroth - happy you managed to resolve this in then end though!

Should you need anything else, just let me know and I will be happy to help. Till then, have a lovely day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

@JesperGroth wrote:

Any way to come around this?

For future reference, during the installation you should be able to choose which folders sync. It's been a while so I don't remember if the option presents itself as part of the install, or if you need to click on Advanced Options during the install and specify those settings there.

JesperGroth
New member | Level 2

It did not ask anything during the installation. 
But I will keep it in mind for the next time, and look for the Advanced Options, thanks.

Kelly J.8
Explorer | Level 3

But on your website it says:

By default, Dropbox will try to download all of the folders in your account. If there are folders you don't want taking up space on your computer, you can use selective sync to store them only in the cloud. However, you may need to wait until Dropbox has finished its initial sync of your files before the selective sync option becomes available.

Naturally, this makes me nervous that I will have the same issue as Jesper!

Walter
Dropboxer

Don't fret @Kelly J.8 - we're always here to help!

Have you given my initial suggestion on this very same thread a go and still having issues with this?

If so, could you elaborate on how exactly is our selective sync feature not meeting your expectations and in that case, how could it be improved?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?