cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

syncing up to date macbook pro with old iMac

Explorer | Level 4

Hello, clever people.

My Macbook Pro 2013 (16GB, 1TB, Mojave) is going well but needs a new screen and battery. I have an iMAC 2013 (16gb late 2013, currently El Capitan) that has been in a box since 2016. I used to keep both devices synched and up to date. The iMac is now on and up, and dropbox is hurtling away. I want to update the iMAc to Mojave (so as to be = with MBP).  I am getting a Dropbox message that ca. 500,000 files are being updated! I hope not backwards.. I am assuming the old iMac files are being added to the MBP..and vice versa(?).  I would like to stop the synching and directly update the iMac to Mojave - can I do that somehow, and will it start synching OK after? I don't mind if I lose the iMAc files, I have them backed up. I am assuming Dropbox is trying to synch the MBP and the iMac mutually? Not entirely convenient but ok, I guess. Advice plse? At this rate I won't get my current MBP files onto the iMac before next week, and I have to take it in tomorrow... I have been wary of moving to Catalina just yet, for a range of reasons and figure getting things stable under Mojave (on both devices) is the best idea.. I don't want to delete everything and do a clean install if at all possible, this never goes well for me..  I am in the middle of a critical large project..

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: syncing up to date macbook pro with old iMac

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @RobynV, I’m here to advise on the best next steps; let’s untie the knots together! 

It looks like you’d like to prioritize tasks, & updating your iMac to Mojave tops the list at the moment. 

If so, then you could unlink your iMac & proceed with the OS update as intended. Once disconnected, the Dropbox folder will be just another local folder you can keep elsewhere with the rest of the iMac files. Once you complete the OS update, you can follow aggregatemusic’s suggestion here to get going with the Dropbox re-installation. 

I hope this points you towards the right direction & I’m always here if you have more questions for me. Thanks!   

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Dear Jane,

Thank you very much Jane. I resolved the OS upgrade problem with the old iMac first as you advised. That took all day - it did fail a couple of times and I tried booting in safe mode; and eventually clearing the NVRAM.. (thanks Apple community). Now I have two 2013 devices MBPro and iMAC - both 16GB RAM and good disk space - both on OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) - and the iMac is synching like crazy.  OK, I would prefer to have those files rather than delete them (they have useful legal docs on them in a case where I am self-represented and swamped, so I might need them). I forgot I had DB on the iMac of old, and it's working well and clearly coped with the update magically and seamlessly (wow!) Could you plse advise how this is affecting / or could affect my MBP - which has many of the same folders, and is current and more organised?  Apple is being patient with me and has given me more time to get MBP in to them (othrwise they reallocate the parts).  I have DB as the 'top' folder on both devices, whereas on the iphone I just usefully seem to have access to things. Will DB differentiate b/w my two devices? Will I be able to? Fortunately no one is home so the wifi is all mine, but it is average.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Great @RobynV, it looks like we’re on the right path; let’s continue from where we left off!

If you previously had a Dropbox folder stored on your iMac, it’s highly likely that you had also stored a copy in Time Machine, so once you re-connected Dropbox, it synced the missing parts

Moving on to the MacBook Pro, it shouldn’t be affected unless you place more files in Dropbox from the iMac that should be synced down to the MacBook, too. It would be worth noting that the two devices aren’t directly connected; they’re linked through the Dropbox website, where you can see the most up-to-date version of your files. The two devices are registered on our system as two separate connections on your Security tab.  

I hope I’ve covered everything; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions for me! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?