cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: tray icon shows endless synching, but all files are synced

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi all!

@Tong P., I was able to locate your open communication with our team and I could see that a member of our team has replied back to you. Did you receive their reply? 

If not, can you please check your spam/junk inbox and let me know if you can find it there?

@Iplicjian, I've passed along your comments to your ticket to keep all the relevant info in one place. Since you're currently troubleshooting via email, I'd recommend replying back to your ticket there and Fiona will be back in touch with you with some further info.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7

Hello Daphne

Thanks. To be clear. The permanent syncing appears reolved on my MacBook Pro. However, 24x7 syncing continues on my iMac and Dell Linux Mint PCs. 

What really interests me is what exactly you ahve done at your end to result in "Up to date" on only my Mac Book Pro.

Thanks again

gfiksel
Explorer | Level 4

I've been having the same issue- endless syncing with a message "syncing 2 files" while all the files were checked green. What helped is unlinking the Dropbox via Preferences/Account/Unlink the Dropbox and then linking it back. Took just 2 min to resynck everything and no more spinning wheels!

gfiksel
Explorer | Level 4

Well, unfortunantly, my hapiness has lasted only for two days.

Today, the spinning wheels got stuck again in "syncing one file". Nothing has been done to the system, no links or else has been added.

I think there is a bug in the software, and I don't have time to deal with it.

espe-ranza
Explorer | Level 3

@gfiksel, I received attentive back-channel help to identify a specific file which was causing the sync to "hang up." It was an old file I no longer needed, so I just deleted that and its whole folder and the problem was removed. Good luck with resolving your particular problem, which could be different from mine.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates here peeps!

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues @gfiksel, can you just try the steps here to see if that resolves the stuck syncing on that file for you?

If you have a Mac instead of a Windows device, then in step 5 you'll need to hold the Options/Alt key instead of the Space bar key.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jerome4477
Explorer | Level 3

I am having the same problem. I have the latest version of LinuxMint with the latest debian vesion of Dropbox. As soon as I boot my computer Dropbox takes 180% of the CPU, according to the top command. I tried the steps presented above, fixing hardlinks and fixing permission, but to no avail.

It is very disappointing because I had the same problem before on my desktop computer, with an older version of LinuxMint, while on my notebook everything was fine. I decided to ditch the desktop and use my notebook only, after upgrading LinuxMint. And now my notebook ishaving the problem too.

It is completely unworkable.

And yes, I am a paying client.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out to us here @Jerome4477!

Since you're having issues with high CPU usage, can you check out this article (if you haven't already) to see if any of the points there help?

Also just to clarify, are you also seeing that the desktop app is stuck syncing and doesn't reach "Up to date"?

Can you let me know which version of the desktop app that you're using too?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Jerome4477
Explorer | Level 3

Daphne, Thanks for replying.

I am using v90.4.307. On the possible causes:

1) I tested reducing the number of directories with Selective Sync but it does not make a difference

2) Cannot think of any other software running on these directories

3) I ran the suggested commands in Linux to correct file permissions, but no difference

4) Even with a couple of hunderd files I have problems.

5) No NAS

6) I use LinuxMint, based on a Debian file system. Nothing Dropbox should not be able to handle.

7) Ran the find command. No symlinks found (I try to avoid them -- I am always copying)

So my problem is still there. My current solution is to let Dropbox sync for a couple of minutes and then switch it off. But that's not desirable.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for all the additional info @Jerome4477!

If you have any antivirus programs running on your computer, can you try disabling this temporarily to see if that helps? Some users around the Community have mentioned that this worked for them.

If you're still having issues after this, would you mind if I reach out to the email linked with your profile here?

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?