cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tray icon shows endless synching, but all files are synced

tray icon shows endless synching, but all files are synced

espe-ranza
Explorer | Level 3

I finally added/uploaded the last of my desktop folders to dropbox (using my Macbook pro, latest version of Mohave). It took a day to complete but now all the file icons show green checkmarks and everything looks fine.

Except: the tray icon shows a perpetual "syncing" badge, as can be seen at the top of this photo:

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.35.39 PM.png

At the bottom of the drop-down dialogue box it also displays the blue badge and says "Syncing..." but without listing further file info, as it did when it was actively uploading.

I tried everything at this link, but the problem remains after more than 24 hours:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/files-update-issues

I could just ignore it, but am wondering if this is using up processing energy and running down my battery unneccessarily.

43 Replies 43

Re: tray icon shows endless synching, but all files are synced

Daphne
Dropboxer

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @espe-ranza!

If you haven't already, could you try restarting your computer as this will refresh the visual elements of the app and might just do the trick.

Should you still be seeing the "Syncing" status, then after clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar, click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window. From the menu choose "View sync issues" and let me know if anything appears at all there.

Finally, please let me know the version of the desktop app that you have installed.

Let me know what you find - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

espe-ranza
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

The desktop app version is Version 81.4.195 (81.4.195). It suddenly appeared in my dock in the last week or so---I'd never used it, preferring just to access dropbox via Finder. The app also shows green checkmarks for all folders; it's only the badge on the tray icon and the endless syncing status at the bottom of the dialogue box.

I've rebooted the computer a few times already, to no avail, but I'll try yet again.

thanks,

espe

espe-ranza
Explorer | Level 3

Latest reboot of the laptop did not work. 

The "View sync issues" box is utterly blank.

Also, the finder listing for dropbox insists on keeping a blue badge, even while all it's contents show a green, up-to-date checkmark.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @espe-ranza,

Could you could try doing a basic reinstall? You'll just need to uninstall the app, download the latest version from here and then running the installer.

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

espe-ranza
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, I was able to get to this today and did exactly as you directed, but the situation is still the same: all folder and subfolders have a green checkmark---in both finder and the desktop app. Yet the tray icon badge remains blue ("syncing"), as does the message at the bottom of the dialogue box. The "sync issues" box is blank.

I rejected "smart sync" because I do a lot of work with my laptop (and many files) in the field, and I'm way, way offline for days at a time, so I really want to keep my files on the harddrive---dropbox is supposed to be a backup, and occasionally I view files on my ipad via the ios db app. The total size of all the files is less than 6.5GB...I'm using far less than the 1TB capacity of my laptop.

Not sure what to try next.

espe-ranza
Explorer | Level 3

Here's a screen shot of the CPU activity. Every now and again the fan runs hard and I can almost see the battery running down in real time. This is a bummer.

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.07.15 PM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @espe-ranza, thanks for trying those steps out!

Since you're also seeing an issue with high CPU usage from the app, can you check out the this article here as it covers the points that can cause this issue.

It may be that whatever is causing the continuous "Syncing" status is also causing the high CPU usage.

If none of the points seem to do the trick for you there then we will have to look into some more device specific info. In that case, would you mind if I reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

The dropbox icon in the system tray shows Dropbox is syncing constantly, but all files are updated

Tomra2
Explorer | Level 4

The icon in the system tray is showing that Dropbox is syncing, even if all files are up to date. I have tried all suggested solutions, including those concerning firewall settings. This is not a problem on other devices and when using other accounts on other computer.

Dropobox icon system tray.JPG

How do I fix this?

Tomra2
Explorer | Level 4

I have no solution, but this mirrors my problem exactly. And I've tried all the steps mentioned, plus a few more involving antivirus and firewall. So I'll follow this string very closely, in addition to the one I posted a few minutes ago.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?