cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to disable computer backup

trying to disable computer backup

lliefveld
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to undo what I did in error.  In order to do that, I have to have the desktop application open, so I can undo the backup.  But I had already uninstalled the application, so now I need to reinstall it.  So I downloaded the app, ran the .exe, unchecked the boxes for my PC folders, and bypassed the 'mobile app' question.

Then I clicked on the Dropbox icon in the application list (it wasn't on my taskbar), and instead of opening the app, it goes to the dropbox folder:

lliefveld_0-1632330246148.png

As I recall, when I downloaded it before, it did the same thing when I tried to install the desktop app.

So, I then went to my downloads folder, where I see this:

lliefveld_1-1632330307797.png

I did click on that file to try to install it (yeah, I know, typical user frustration), and I got a popup saying it was installing Dropbox, but it just sat there and didn't end up installing it.  

Now what?

UPDATE:  In an effort to 'fix' this, I have now gone to my Dropbox account and 'unlinked' both of my laptops. 

1.  Can I now delete the files in the online Dropbox without eliminating the files on my laptops?   

2.  Also, the main reason I signed up for Dropbox is because Quicken said they have added a feature to use Dropbox to backup the Quicken files.   Do I now need to do something to get that to work?   

1 Reply 1

Re: trying to disable computer backup

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @lliefveld, thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear about this situation.

You should be able to delete the files on our website without affecting the files on your computer now that you disconnected your devices from your account.

In regards to your second query, I'd suggest asking Quicken directly for more information as it's outside of our remit. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?