cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: two Dropbox folders on same computer

two Dropbox folders on same computer

LZ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

In reponse to the question, can I have separate Dropbox folders on the same computer (one for me and one for my husband), I was told to go to the page dropbox.com/help/61

If you are not a business user, you are told:

If you're a Dropbox Basic or Dropbox Pro user, it's also possible to use a different Dropbox account for each user login on your computer. While this technically means you can have several Dropbox folders on the same computer, you'll have to switch between each user account to take advantage of Dropbox's syncing features. This method is best for groups or families that have individual Dropboxes on the same computer.

How does one enact this advice? What am I supposed to be doing?

Thanks.

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
They will need to get admin privileges then to do the install - even if they are given just temporarily.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Zachiel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If one could add new dropbox folders to the same computer profile, don't you think they would just create new dropbox instances, instead of needing to upgrade in order to get more space?

MFH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The Dropbox folder is (at least, should be) within your personal user folder (where you also have "(My)Documents" etc). So when you switch to account B you shouldn't see A's Dropbox folder any more (and should not be able to access unless you're admin); you'll have a different Dropbox folder within B's user folder. If you're admin, you can maybe access to other User's Dropbox folders (but dropbox won't sync those while the corresponding user is not active/logged in).

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

The user doesnt need to be logged in, just the dropbox app needs to be running on that user account.

Move the dropbox folders to an accessable area by both users.

Set Dropbox to NOT start on Login.

Create 2 On System Start task to run the dropbox app using the 2 specific user accounts.

Reboot & Login as either user and observe both dropbox syncing.

--above too hard?--

Create a Shortcut in Username1 that has the following line in it...

RUNAS /savecred /user:Username2 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe"

* Username2 should include its domain if it is one, such as YourDomain\Username2 or AZureAD\Username2 *

DavidJohnson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"It's quite simple actually. Create a new computer user account, log in to the computer as that user, then install Dropbox as you normally would."

I did this and it worked just as described. My wife and I have separate Dropbox storage under different user accounts on the same device and the files are synced.  Now I would like to uninstall dropbox on my wife's user account  (duplicate files taking too much space) and delete the duplicate files which are stored under her user account on the same device without the files under my account being deleted. How do I accomplish this ?

DavidJohnson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"It's quite simple actually. Create a new computer user account, log in to the computer as that user, then install Dropbox as you normally would." I did this. Now I want to undo it. How do I accomplich that ?

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@DavidJohnson re "Now I would like to uninstall dropbox on my wife's user account  (duplicate files taking too much space) and delete the duplicate files which are stored under her user account on the same device without the files under my account being deleted. How do I accomplish this ?"

By doing so.

Need more support?