cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two Dropbox folders on same computer

two Dropbox folders on same computer

LZ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

In reponse to the question, can I have separate Dropbox folders on the same computer (one for me and one for my husband), I was told to go to the page dropbox.com/help/61

If you are not a business user, you are told:

If you're a Dropbox Basic or Dropbox Pro user, it's also possible to use a different Dropbox account for each user login on your computer. While this technically means you can have several Dropbox folders on the same computer, you'll have to switch between each user account to take advantage of Dropbox's syncing features. This method is best for groups or families that have individual Dropboxes on the same computer.

How does one enact this advice? What am I supposed to be doing?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

The user doesnt need to be logged in, just the dropbox app needs to be running on that user account.

Move the dropbox folders to an accessable area by both users.

Set Dropbox to NOT start on Login.

Create 2 On System Start task to run the dropbox app using the 2 specific user accounts.

Reboot & Login as either user and observe both dropbox syncing.

--above too hard?--

Create a Shortcut in Username1 that has the following line in it...

RUNAS /savecred /user:Username2 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe"

* Username2 should include its domain if it is one, such as YourDomain\Username2 or AZureAD\Username2 *

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to configure user accounts on your computer so you each have to log in when you start up your machine.

Once you've done that you than simply reinstall Dropbox on each user account and log them in to the account needed.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mosajulant
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The text about how to proceed when you want two dropboxaccounts on one computer is incomprehensible

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
It's quite simple actually. Create a new computer user account, log in to the computer as that user, then install Dropbox as you normally would.

You cannot have two separate Dropbox accounts running under a single computer user account unless one of those is a Dropbox for Business account.

John F.59
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK so I have 2 user accounts. Account A has Dropbox installed and all is fine. If I switch user (Widows 10) to the other account I just get to see the Dropbox folder for Account A. If I go to the Dropbox website I can log into Account B, but what I want to happen is that when I switch user accounts I see the Dropbox folder relevant to that account. I have Dropbox basic but believe that the above should be possible?

bodidley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Good grief! This is about the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. Why one can't have multiple dropbox accounts to log into without completely switching user accounts is beyond me. I don't know of a single other app that requires that.

WKrieger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well finally I get it, the "usable" drop box account depends on computer user log in!

My wife & I have two different machines but use each others, back and forth, all the time. I did not log her out then log me in. My one Dropbox account was driving me nuts! It behaved differently when I was on my machine (logged in as me) than when I used it on her machine (logged in a her). I will change our proceedure and try this again. Thanks

@Rich wrote:
It's quite simple actually. Create a new computer user account, log in to the computer as that user, then install Dropbox as you normally would.

You cannot have two separate Dropbox accounts running under a single computer user account unless one of those is a Dropbox for Business account.

wolf1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So how do I get both Dropbox folders on my one login; aka a personal one and a company one (Business)...

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You have to connect your personal and Business accounts first, then you can have both syncing to the same computer.

acormond
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot install Dropbox a second time on the same computer as a second user because that user does not have admin priviledges.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Server_Align Collaborator | Level 10
    DavidJohnson New member | Level 2
    MFH New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?