cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uninstalling dropbox on a mac

uninstalling dropbox on a mac

jadeemay
New member | Level 2

I installed dropbox on my mac to share files with someone. Then when I tried to uninstall it...it was linked to my desktop. It took all my files off my desktop (which I have retrieved) but now my problem is my desktop is locked and I can not move icons or put any new files on my desktop. Is there any way to fix this.

7 Replies 7

Re: uninstalling dropbox on a mac

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @jadeemay, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community. 

It sounds like you're referring to computer backup, which backs up your computer folders, like Downloads, Documents, and Desktop, to your Dropbox account. 

In this case, you'll have to reinstall the desktop app and then follow the instructions mentioned in this article to turn the feature off. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jadeemay1
New member | Level 2

No it did not help. Everything on my desktop is now connected to my trash. I cannot delete anything on my desktop because it says it is already in the trash. So frustrating.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @jadeemay1, thanks for nudging us on this thread, and sorry to hear about that. 

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message that you get?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jadeemay1
New member | Level 2

I can't even do a screenshot or save anything to my desktop. Here is the pic I took with my phone.20200915_080629.jpg

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply, @jadeemay

Do not worry, the message that you see tells you that the item cannot be moved to your Trash, not that it's already deleted. 

If you haven't already, could you reinstall the desktop app and follow these instructions to turning computer backup off? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jadeemay1
New member | Level 2

Thank you...it worked. How do I totally uninstall dropbox off my Mac? I do not need it.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @jadeemay1, you can uninstall the app completely using these steps on the site.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?