cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unsupported file system error moving Dropbox folder to a Ext4 partition in Linux Mint

unsupported file system error moving Dropbox folder to a Ext4 partition in Linux Mint

AndiL
Explorer | Level 3

After I received a notification from Dropbox I have tryed to Move the Dropbox folder from a ntfs partition to a Ext4 (/dev/sdb3) partition which I have created using GParted (I am using Linux Mint 18). But I got the "Unsupported file system error". I saw the recommendation for adding extended attibutes to the file system o the new partition but either I didn't managed do it correctly either it didn't work at all because I still getPhoto GParted.JPG the same message.

8 Replies 8

Re: unsupported file system error moving Dropbox folder to a Ext4 partition in Linux Mint

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @AndiL, sorry to hear that you’re hitting this error message, let me send you some tips that could be helpful & we’ll take it from there.  

For starters, please note that Mint isn’t an officially supported distro according to our system requirements, though we’re here to help as much as we can. You may have a look below for some more context: 

Spoiler
According to our desktop system requirements, to run the Dropbox app on your computer you will need:

Ubuntu 14.04 or higher, Fedora 21 or higher &you must have glibc 2.19 or higher. Also, the Dropbox folder will need to be on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition

[Note: ecryptfs is not supported, but Dropbox will continue to sync with supported file systems that are encrypted via full disk encryption (e.g. LUKS)]

If your device doesn't meet these requirements, you can still use the Dropbox desktop application as long as it meets our system requirements for Dropbox on Linux (but keep in mind that your results may vary)  

If I were in your shoes, I’d start off with an Advanced re-installation & point the new Dropbox folder location to my ext4 drive (i.e. if this was not in the default location)

Other than that Andi, a ran a quick search on my end & I saw a very similar discussion on the Linux Forums, so you could also have an extra look there for assistance. 

Please do let me know of the outcome & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks & have a wonderful rest of your Friday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: unsupported file system error moving Dropbox folder to a Ext4 partition in Linux Mint

AndiL
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Jane,

Thank you very much for your message. The Linux Mint version 18 - Cimannon that I have is based on Ubuntu version +16. so it should be OK. But one problem I forget to mention is that in fact in this moment the Dropbox folder is in an Ext4 partition (in Home). But  the space in Home is quite limited (less than 20 Gb, being in a SDD) and since I have upgraded to the 1 Tb professional version I have moved the folder in a ntfs partition of a HDD. The problem appeared after, following your notification regarding suppoerted partition format, I made an Ext4 partion on a HDD and tried to move the folder there. 

I wish you  a great weekend.

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me on this discussion @AndiL & happy Monday! 

Have you had a chance to check back on my previous suggestions? If so, what results did you get on your end? 

As you’ve mentioned that you’ve received this error message when trying to remove the Dropbox folder, I’d also suggest checking if you have any files in your folder that have their permissions incorrectly set. If so, you could check the steps below: 

Spoiler
1) Stop the Dropbox desktop application (if needed)

• Click on the Dropbox icon.
  • Choose Quit/Stop/Exit

2) Open the Terminal app

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chattr -R -i ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task, and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

If you have any questions before you do this, or if you see an error after running one of these commands, please let us know!

4) Restart Dropbox
Another possible cause of these issues would be local network sharing or folder redirection preferences setup in folders or files within your Dropbox. Similar effects can also happen when your Dropbox folder or its system files are located in a mounted network drive or a remote location (like roaming profiles) since this could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations.

Please let me know of you get on with these steps or in case you need assistance in any way & I’ll make sure to check back with you asap. I hope you have a wonderful day/ rest of your day ahead until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

The_Fortean
New member | Level 2

I use LM 18 & 19 and I am receiving the message that I must move my Dropbox folder to a "supported"  file system; EXT4. My folder IS ON EXT4!

I suspect that what the message means is that I have to move my folder to a HDD from a SSD and an NVMe drive. (Two computers involved)

If this is correct it might be more helpful if the message said that!

AndiL
Explorer | Level 3

Jane,

I really appreciate your efforts trying to help in this issue which I understand is not at all a singular one, just for me. I also tried the Linux command lines that you have sent last time. However, nothing seems to work, at least in my case, after losing many hours. Not to mention a partition that I have deleted by mistake during the process, losing the files there (of course, this is entirely my fault!). If nothing comes out in the future the only solution I see is to limit the size of my Dropbox folder to fit on my Home partition, giving up my Dropbox Plus plan at the end of the period and to find a alternative cloud service in order to accomodate my larger cloud storage needs. 

Anyway, thank you once again. Andi

miglio100588
New member | Level 2

I use LM 19 and my folder is on Ext4, i can not understand why i got that message

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @AndiL, apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you. As I’d like to submit your request to our specialized team member, I’ve made sure to reach out to you on my end via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you more closely. I hope that this is helpful & I’ll be awaiting your next reply on our email correspondence. Thanks again for the time & efforts you're devoting on that! 

When it comes to your inquiries @The_Fortean & @miglio100588, can you let me know if you’ve followed any of the troubleshooting mentioned above or tried to work on that on your end? I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

The_Fortean
New member | Level 2

It would have been helpful to receive a simple "yes" or "no" answer to my question. It would appear that this is not possible.

Q Does Dropbox ask me to move my folder FROM an EXT4 format because it is on an SSD/NVMe and Dropbox cannot cope with EXT4 format on SSD or NVMe?

This can be confirmed by simple experimentation, by you.

If this is not the case I will investigate further. Unfortunately, since all my Linux OS are on SSD or NVMe, I cannot do the experiment myself!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

The_Fortean New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropboxer
    miglio100588 New member | Level 2
    AndiL Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?