Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

upgrading from plus to professional

Explorer | Level 3

In windows 7 and 10,  should I uninstall the "plus" dropbox app and remove all dropbox folders (150GB) from pc before installing the "professional" app? This is labor intensive as it involves going through the C:\users... and manually deleting as per dropbox instructions. Or is the pro app smart enough to detect the previous installation, add only the new features, and follow the existing dropbox organization. I installed dropbox plus on my D drive because Cdrive is a small SSD. I need to keep the pro app as much off the C Drive as I can.Thanks for any suggestions.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: upgrading from plus to professional

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Initially, please note that when referring to Plus/Professional/Business plans, this refers to the subscription of your Dropbox account. If you’re not sure which plan you’re currently subscribed under, you can check your Plan tab

The desktop app allows you to have access to your Dropbox and content directly through a folder on your hard drive. 

In other words, when you upgrade, what changes is not the app itself, but your account. For this reason, your desktop app will follow the account’s settings accordingly. 

Finally, since you mention that you installed your desktop app in an external hard drive, I’d kindly recommend to have a look at this article for more info on what to keep in mind. 

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I’ve misunderstood your concern. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Initially, please note that when referring to Plus/Professional/Business plans, this refers to the subscription of your Dropbox account. If you’re not sure which plan you’re currently subscribed under, you can check your Plan tab

The desktop app allows you to have access to your Dropbox and content directly through a folder on your hard drive. 

In other words, when you upgrade, what changes is not the app itself, but your account. For this reason, your desktop app will follow the account’s settings accordingly. 

Finally, since you mention that you installed your desktop app in an external hard drive, I’d kindly recommend to have a look at this article for more info on what to keep in mind. 

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I’ve misunderstood your concern. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks so much Lusil.  You nailed it. My account has changed from plus to pro (I just paid too much) and, to my surprise, I now (30 min later) see that the app shows smartsync. So, there are no changes to the app itself. The app has indeed followed the acct. 

Regarding the drives, my boot C drive is a small  SSD. There is also an internal Sata drive (D). It seems that one cannot avoid dropbox adding to the boot drive. But, at the final step of app installation, I used the advanced button to install the dropbox folder to the Ddrive. It seems to work fine on D though I know it is taking alot of space on C.  Any thoughts on this issue.  I realize this is a well-known issue but I'm a fairly new dropbox user. No prob if you pass on commenting. I realize it's a loaded issue. Thanks again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Glad to have helped resolve the first point, @MLPrenti

As for the second, could you please provide me with a screenshot as to what you mean (omitting any personal info) so as to have a better understanding as to what you’re seeing?

Thanks in advance! 

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This is expanded view of dropbox in the CdriveThis is expanded view of dropbox in the CdriveThis is the Ddrive where I steered the dropbox folder  in the advanced settingsThis is the Ddrive where I steered the dropbox folder in the advanced settingsHere are shots of the 2 drives. It seems that dropbox consumes space on both C and D drives as files are synced to this computer.  More space is consumed on D than C but consumption on C due to dropbox is running at ~50% what goes in to D. Smartsync is helping slow down use of Cdrive.  Thanks for any comments.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @MLPrenti

From what I can see, the Dropbox folder itself is in the D drive. What you see in the C drive are the program files that are added when you install the desktop app. These should exist in the same drive as your OS. 

If you’re having high CPU/RAM usage that is caused by the desktop app, have a look at this article for more info and suggestions. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?