cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload speed from dropbox app is 1/10th of my broadband upload speed

upload speed from dropbox app is 1/10th of my broadband upload speed

davidjpayne1981
Explorer | Level 4

I am looking for a way of uploading folders of around 160gb comprising of some small files but predominantly large video files (from 100mb to 10gb)

Dropbox ticks all of the boxes so I paid for dropbox plus yesterday however via the windows desktop app my upload speed is cripplingly slow.

Under bandwidth in the dropbox app preferences I have ensured that it is not limited and I have also tried by limiting it to 10000kbps (10mbps, my upload speed as tested and confirmed by a browser based speed test) however it makes no difference.

My upload fluctuates between 700kbps and 1300kbps when it should be close to 10000kbps.

I have found other services that work via web browser (like fex.net) which allow me to upload and it is indeed 10x faster so I know it is not a limitation of the wiring or my broadband account. I can't use this service long term though as it doesnt fit with my workflow.

Has anyone got any suggestions on why it is so slow or has anyone experienced the same issues?

3 Replies 3

Re: upload speed from dropbox app is 1/10th of my broadband upload speed

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @davidjpayne1981, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

From what I understand, you've checked out this article which mentions how to improve the syncing speed but also gives more info on why the speed may change. 

If none of those apply to you, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a few more details, such as:

• Could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?
  • Do you have the desktop app installed on an external hard drive by any chance? 
  • Are you seeing any errors? 

Any additional info and screenshots (again, without any sensitive details) would be very helpful. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davidjpayne1981
Explorer | Level 4

I think I have worked out the issue. Its related to mbytes vs mbits.

I have a 11mbit upload speed connection

When I upload a file in the dropbox app it uploads at between 800kbps to 1400kbps

According to an online data transfer rate calculator, 1400 kilobytes per second is equibalent to 11.2 megabits per second

Does that mean I can realistically not expect any quicker than 1400kbps uplaod on a 11mbit upload connection?

Lusil
Dropboxer

It sounds like that might be the case, @davidjpayne1981

However, for more info about the download and upload rates, please contact your ISP as they'll be able to give you more accurate details. 

If there's anything else I can do to help from my end, please let me know. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?