cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v142.3.4187 Native M1 Silicon?

v142.3.4187 Native M1 Silicon?

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I entered the Beta program to get Dropbox into Native M1, but I see that the latest Beta version is still running under Rosetta (Intel).

Is there any outlook on full M1 silicon support without Rosetta?

The reason for asking is that I have intermittent issues on my MacBook Air M1 which I am trying to investigate with Apple Senior support. We are in the process of eliminating non-native apps.

Thx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi all,

Native Apple silicon support is now fully available. All users with Apple silicon devices will receive the native version of Dropbox automatically. If you would like to update your device manually, you can do so by clicking on the latest Stable Build and downloading the Offline Installer (Apple Silicon) file. For more information, visit the Dropbox Help Center.

If you need assistance with anything else, please feel free to create a new thread and our community team will be happy to assist.

View solution in original post

56 Replies 56

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@Adrie ten Bookum The Apple Silicon beta has had, and continues to have, so many problems that I suspect they are being very cautious about doing automatic roll-outs. You can install it directly by downloading an installer →HERE← but I'd wait (I wish I had) or, at most, only test it out on a non-critical machine. Many the problems are still unresolved.

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thx for the quick reply.

If there are many problems, I rather wait as I do not want to induce other problems while trying to sort the current. 
Any know issues with the version I am running that you know of?

Thx in advance

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution
The Intel version is rock solid, as it has been for years. It was that very reliability that led me to infer (badly, it turned out) that they wouldn’t unleash a crap Apple Silicon beta on their users. But I ignored the early warning signs: they responded with dismissive condescension to requests for a native app from M1 owners. I don’t necessarily want to blame the coders here. Could well be that it was a bungled CYA management decision to push out a half-baked alpha and call it a beta against the better judgment of the programmers.

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Whatever the root cause, they need clearly more time for M1.
Now I know that the intel version is solid, I will focus on other apps to see if I can nail down the instability of my MB-air M1.

Thx so far.

tpayton
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

FYI The public release of DropBox client 142.3.4187 is Apple Silicon native is working great for my team. I maintain a bunch of Macs, some Intel and some Apple Silicon. No problems. 

tpayton_0-1644944442606.png

tpayton_1-1644944571260.png

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution
@tpayton Are you able to choose the location of your Dropbox folder? And what sorts of icons do you see in the Finder? Do sync’d files get a green checkmark, as in the Intel version?

tpayton
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Icons in Finder

- Apple Silicon - No, Intel - Yes (but those have been finicky for a long time)

Not sure about location (see screen shot) I don't want to touch that since my dropbox is huge. 

tpayton_0-1644955091526.png

tpayton_1-1644955120302.png

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@tpayton Thanks for the info and screenshots. Yeah, all I've got in the Finder is a goofy cloud icon indicating folders with remote content only — except it is still marking folders whose contents are all local. Re Dropbox location, I of course wasn't asking you to change it — how presumptuous that would have been! 🙂 — I was just wondering if you were able to. In my case, the current location is locked in, as you can see in this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.22.50 PM.png

Moreover, when I was "upgraded" to the beta, the beta actually moved my Dropbox location to ~/Library/CloudStorage without asking or even informing me. This completely screwed up syncing. The process hung with over 40,000 files to sync and I eventually had to delete my local Dropbox, reinstall the beta (still believing it would work after a few glitches — should have switched back to Intel) and just download my entire Dropbox from the website. It took a long time for it to sync, but it finally did, and syncing seems to be working reasonably well, but my confidence is shaken. And the Dropbox location is still hardwired in (I would like to move it back to ~/Documents) and there's still the missing/poorly functioning icons issue. (FWIW the Finder icons were never finicky for me in the Intel version. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) Oh, and I also get only three Dropbox options when I right click on a file instead of seven, as in your screenshot:

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.28.50 PM.png

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@tpayton thx for the reply.

I am at v142.3.4187 

AdrietenBookum_0-1644957729101.png

And this is what I see in the activity monitor:

AdrietenBookum_1-1644957808842.png

🤔

What can be the reason for this?

Need more support?