cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when mac app is running an empty icon titled "icon?" appears on my desktop

when mac app is running an empty icon titled "icon?" appears on my desktop

jaimeeking
New member | Level 2

When I move to trash, it immediately appears again. If I close the app, i can delete, but as soon as i restart the app it reappears on my desktop. 

I have adjusted all preferences and settings...how to I delete and remove this unsightly abomination on my desktop?

1 Reply 1

Re: when mac app is running an empty icon titled "icon?" appears on my desktop

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @jaimeeking, I hope you're doing well today!

Did you possibly enable the computer backup previously to backup your Desktop folder? This would be the only Dropbox feature that could make any changes outside of the Dropbox folder.

If so, can you let me know if you moved the backed up files from the "My Mac" folder in Dropbox back to the original location on your computer? 

I'm wondering if perhaps this is a shortcut to a file or perhaps an icon for an app that may have been moved to Dropbox when being backed up.

Otherwise, can you send me a screenshot of this icon and the Properties of the files?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?