cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do i get an unspecified error when i try to download a microsoft word document from dropbox

why do i get an unspecified error when i try to download a microsoft word document from dropbox

mbraswell
New member | Level 2

Why do I get an unspecified error when I try to download a microsoft word document from dropbox. I can directly download a PDF, but not a word document or excel document.

12 Replies 12

Re: why do i get an unspecified error when i try to download a microsoft word document from dropbox

Redston_1
New member | Level 2

Did you try opening in office online? not sure what you wanted to do with the document but that would let you edit it.

Re: why do i get an unspecified error when i try to download a microsoft word document from dropbox

mbraswell
New member | Level 2

I want it to just open on microsoft word and not have to go through the online version to download.

Redston_1
New member | Level 2

@mbraswell wrote:

I want it to just open on microsoft word and not have to go through the online version to download.

Makes sense

Could you post an error code or link a screenshot

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? 

Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PeterJB
New member | Level 2

I also have this problem.  Currently the only thing that resolves it is if I  right click "restore prior version" on the file.  I would like for Dropbox to solve this issue because it is very annoying to have to manually do that every time I open a word doc. 

BV3
New member | Level 2

THis has happened to me as well, on trying to set up dropbox on a new machine.  What is the dropbox answer?  "Restore prior version" works but it isnt much good for a whole dropbox account!  Any thoughts on a one off fix?

vlpr
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. Can't download RTF document. Annotation 2019-06-21 123244.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there peeps!

Can you just confirm for me that you’ve tried the steps mentioned by Jay previously? Do you see any difference in behaviour?

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JonathanF
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

The issue is I'm doing this through the DB app not through a browser on my laptop so changes to the browser won't help. This is a massive headache. Please advise of a fix. 

Note, I have restarted the machine and logged out of the DB app several times to no avail. 

Thanks

Jonathan

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    YairC Helpful | Level 5
    JonathanF New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?