cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is dropbox not using more bandwidth when it syncs?

why is dropbox not using more bandwidth when it syncs?

Stefan K.30
Explorer | Level 4

How does dropbox decide how fast to transfer files? On my gigabit connection, it's using <5% of available speed.

Hardware is gigabit.

.hardware is gigabithardware is gigabit.

But network speed is much less

dropbox use.PNG

Is there a way to control how big of pipe Dropbox uses?

3 Replies 3

Re: why is dropbox not using more bandwidth when it syncs?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Stefan K.30,

You haven't mentioned what is your real network speed! Your statement is based on different thing that can't compared directly. 😉

Your "gigabit connection" is your LAN connection, not your WAN connection! What would say your ISP for? 🤔 Did you ask? 🙂

Your real speed (second screenshot) depends on the "bottleneck" in the network path, not on the fastest section! 😃

Good luck.

Stefan K.30
Explorer | Level 4

my internet speed is close to gigabit. this speed test was done WHILE dropbox was doing its thing at 50 kbps.

speed.PNG

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Oh... Yes that's something different. Hope you can make difference between your first and last screenshot. Despite of similar values the meaning is completely different! My net is significantly slower, but Dropbox application successfully fill up all my bandwidth (I just made a test). Despite my slower network speed Dropbox speed is not many times, but many orders faster.

I don't know. 🙄 This might be bug in the current version (most probably) or some connection trouble to the Dropbox servers. Try investigate network path throughput to content.dropboxapi.com

Good luck.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Stefan K.30 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?