cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why two dropbox.exe processes running

why two dropbox.exe processes running

Rick R.6
Explorer | Level 3

When I look in task manager, I see two dropbox.exe *32 processes running.  We just switched to dropbox for work, so is this because I have a work and personal dropbox now?  Thanks for any replies.

13 Replies 13

Re: why two dropbox.exe processes running

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Yes, its because you have two accounts on the same machine - each is handled by its own client.

Rick R.6
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, that's what I thought.  It's taking a long time to sync the office, so I wasn't sure.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

I found that syncing two accounts at once causes computer disk to "thrash". If this is happening to  you try doing "pause sync" on one account.

Multiple instances of DropboxExt64.33.dll loading at startup

Larry F.10
New member | Level 2

In windows 10 startup I found 8 instances of DropboxExt64.33.dll loading. They are in the explorer section. They all point  to the same file but are labeled DropboxExt1 through DropboxExt8. I'm disabling all but one to see what happens. Any ideas why there are so many?

Two instances of dropbox.exe running?

Novadestin
Explorer | Level 3
I was curious why there were two instances running and came across this (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Manage-account/why-two-dropbox-exe-processes-running/td-p/156933) topic from a year ago. It makes sense... except, I only have one account (a free, personal one)??? One instances is running at like 120k and the other at only 3k ('open file location' shows it is the official .exe running twice and not a fake program or something). When I end the process on the smaller one, nothing happens - everything still works fine. If the second process isn't needed, than I would like to get rid of it permanently, but if it's linked to another account as the above topic says, I really want to know what account (and how to disable it). Thanks!

Re: Two instances of dropbox.exe running?

AdamT
Explorer | Level 4

I'm seeing the exact same thing happen, it just started maybe 3 weeks ago.

I too have only a single, free account and have only a single shared folder with 1 other user.

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey there,

Can you guys send me a screenshot or two of this? I’d like to run it by our developers. 

If you don’t feel comfortable posting it here, please write to us here https://t.co/JzCu5Ol0GV so that we can get some more specific details, and forward them to our team. 

Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Novadestin
Explorer | Level 3
Here's some shots of everything I could think of: http://imgur.com/a/H1443. I recently emptied everything out, so nothing is in the folder except a hidden file I assume dropbox puts there. Everything LOOKS normal... except for a duplicate 3K process running in the task manager.

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey Novadestin, 

I’m sorry, but the link you sent me to imgur is not one that I can open from my platform. If you can send me a link to a Dropbox folder, or attach them to your reply, it would be great! 

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AdamT Explorer | Level 4
    Zed Dropboxer
    Novadestin Explorer | Level 3
    Sanchez Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?