cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong email address - unable to reset password

wrong email address - unable to reset password

Everald S.
New member | Level 1

Hi, so I have a big problem that is driving me crazy. 

When I first opened my Dropbox I mistakenly typed my email address with an error (it's missing a dot) .  That account is still active and I cannot delete it or switch it to the correct  email address simply because I don't recall my password. I can not reset the pw because that email address does not belong to me, therefore I won't be able to access its content. 

I would be very thankful if I could get some help asap as I am afraid someone else is accessing my private photos.

Best Regards

E.

5 Replies 5

Re: wrong email address - unable to reset password

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

There's nothing to be done, you've lost both of the two key bits needed to control the account.

In similar cases Dropbox Support have previously indicated they're unable to help in the recovery of accounts with non-functional email addresses.

Paid subscription holders in this situation can contact Dropbox Support with proof of payment so the account can be marked for downgrade/etc, but not recovered.

Everald S.
New member | Level 1

Wow, I am surprised I was able to create an account with a wrong email address. Obviously no email verification was requested. I need that account gone. There must be something someone can do. 

Robert S.

There must be something someone can do. 

I'm afraid not.

The only option available at this point is to abandon the account.

Everald S.
New member | Level 1

yeah. I am deleting everything from it and hopefully no one has already copied my stuff ;S 

Robert S.

... hopefully no one has already copied my stuff

The only likely scenario for that would be if the genuine owner of the sign up email address had tried to create a DB account, found it taken and done a password reset thereby gaining control of the account.

Unfortunate that the login credentials weren't recorded or the email address updated when the opportunity was present, but there you go.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert S. Experienced Collaborator | Level 11
    Everald S. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?