cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Sub-Folders and Items Inside Hidden Folders

Accessing Sub-Folders and Items Inside Hidden Folders

New member | Level 2

I found a post about this issue that I am having dating back to 2017, however, it does not look to have been adequately answered or resolved, so I would like to bring it up again, in light of the DropBox and Google Drive combined beta.

For Reference:

https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Permissions-for-Sub-Folders/td-p/213940

Basically, the problem is this; small businesses need a way to delegate access to documents and sub-folders within folders that those people do not have access to. For example, a project manager like myself may need access to certain financial/budgetary sub-folders within the HR/ADMIN root folder. However, it does not make business sense to give me access to that entire root folder, as it contains confidential materials that I do not need access to.

Dropbox's go to solution is to pull the finacial/budgetary folders out of the HR/ADMIN root folder, and create a new root folder and share it with those people that need it. There also is some convulted explanation of a team folder, which is esentially the same process of pulling the sub-folder out, making it a team folder instead, and then creating teams whose accesses are different than the shared folder groups.

Long story short, this is an extremely ineffecient way of allowing/denying access to sub-folders and documents within hidden folders. You end up with a mess of duplicate root and shared folders in your DropBox, almost always containing sensitive information (the reason for hiding folders/denying access to begin with).

My question is: will we ever be given access to delegate permissions at an individual file and/or sub-folder level? Will this integration with Google Drive provide that kind of granularity when it comes to file sharing? If not, I am afraid our business will have to look for an alternative.

1 Reply 1

Re: Accessing Sub-Folders and Items Inside Hidden Folders

Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out to us here @AlexG1!

I completely understand how this would be an inefficient way for you to manage access to those lower level folders within the account.

Perhaps you could take a look at the steps outlined here to restrict access to sub folders to see if that will do the trick for you?

Let me know if this helps at all - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?