cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account deletion and change of access rights

Account deletion and change of access rights

New member | Level 2

Recently one of my team member with whom i have had many shared folders left the Company. The IT helpdesk acting as admin deleted the account after providing me the desired backup. one strange thing happened that in all the folders that i shared with the ex-employee now IT helpdesk is the member. My question is that when account of respective employee is deleted then how come IT helpdesk become the member of the each and every folder that was shared by me with that employee. For folder created by the respective employee the IT helpdesk become the owner. Can somebody explain that whether this is a default functionality of Dropbox or IT helpdesk acting as admin have activated this. I discussed the matter with the helpdesk and they explained though became member and owners of the respective folders, they don't have access to the data on those folders which is hard to believe. Can somebody help me on this issue? Will be really thankful. It is beyound my understanding that someone shown as ahving edit and own rights on a folder are in fact not able to access that data as explained to me by the helpdesk.

1 Reply 1

Re: Account deletion and change of access rights

Dropboxer

Hi there @Amjad456, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When a member is deleted from a team, the admin has the choice to transfer the deleted member's files to the account of another member of the team. You can find out more about this here, including what is transferred.

With this action, the sharing permissions for the deleted member's content is also transferred to the recipient member's account. From what you mentioned, it sounds like the content was transferred to the admin's account.

In this case, if you see the admin account has editing or viewing access to the content, then they will be able to see these folders. If you need to, perhaps you can request the admin to transfer ownership of the folders to you.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?