cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Add non team member to team folder

Add non team member to team folder

mr22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

we have a consultant who helps us remotely, we wish to add them to one of our Dropbox Team Folders, yet since they already have a business account (their own) I don't want to send an invite and be paying for an account that's not used?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey, @mr22

I understand if this wasn’t the ideal response you were looking for. I can forward your comments to the dev team for future review and, in the mean time, if you’d like to contact our Support team, please feel free to do so. 

If you have any other questions or any update on this, don’t hesitate to get back to me. Have a wonderful day ahead! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey, @mr22!

Initially, please note that all content inside your team folder is automatically shared with the entire team. However, since you mention that you want to share content in your team folder with collaborators outside of your team, you can share it by: 
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com with your work account.
  2. Click your team folder.
  3. Locate the folder you want to share.
  4. Choose Share.
  5. Type the email or name of the person you'd like to invite into the textbox.
    • Names in blue are members of your team.
    • Names in yellow are not members of your team.
  6. Choose Share.
The people you invite must accept the invitation before they can access the content inside the folder.

People who can only access folders inside the team folder, and not team folder themselves:
  • Receive the folder like a shared folder.
  • Don't have access to the team folder or any other containing folders.
  • Don't have visibility into the folder structure.
You can find this info and more details in this article

Let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mr22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So I can't share the whole team folder to this person... they already have a business account.. just it's not paid for under our account

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You can share the content of the team folder to users outside of your team, just not the team folder itself. If you’re having trouble sharing it, it may be due to the sharing settings applied by the team admin. 

Hope this helped! :nerd:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

mr22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

the content in the folder is being deleted and added to regularly, it feels like a work around to be forced to re-share each file/folder as it's created, sounds like something I need to log with tech support?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey, @mr22

I understand if this wasn’t the ideal response you were looking for. I can forward your comments to the dev team for future review and, in the mean time, if you’d like to contact our Support team, please feel free to do so. 

If you have any other questions or any update on this, don’t hesitate to get back to me. Have a wonderful day ahead! :upside_down:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jestar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi! Checking in to see if there have been any updates since this posted? I have a non-team member—who has their own DB account—and needs access to a team folder. Is there any way to share the entire team folder with them, rather than the files/folders within the folder?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @jestar

Thanks for posting your question on the Community!

Currently, you can share team folders with groups that are created by the team's admin and share the content of the folder with users that aren't in your team. 

However, some teams have access to the new team folder structure, which allows admins to manage access by adding users and groups. You can find more info here

I hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jestar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Appreciate the quick feedback @Lusil!  I have admin access and created a new group, but it only shows an option to invite members. When I click this and enter the individual's email, an error message pops up telling me this person is not a team member and cannot add them to the group. Any advice?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for nudging me back, @jestar!

Since this functionality is something we're still considering implementing in the future, your feedback helps us develop a better experience for you. 

As soon as there's more info on this, I'll make sure to get back to you.

In the meantime, you can continue sharing the content inside the team folder with users that are not in your team. 

I understand that this isn't the ideal reply you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?