cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to add a new member but not automatically add as a Team member to a business account

Best way to add a new member but not automatically add as a Team member to a business account

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Previously added 2 new members - they automatically got added to our Team folders, which i did not want to happen.  Now need to add another without access to prepared Team Folders as only need to invite them in to specific folders.  

Tried the usual Member-Manage option but not working for the 2 previous and now tentative to sign up for another license for the same to happen.  

Any help will be grateful

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best way to add a new member but not automatically add as a Team member to a business account

Dropboxer

Hey there @wally - so you'd like to share a folder with people outside of your Dropbox for Business team - right?

Have you tried sharing a folder with them or a link to the folder instead if you'd like them to have view only access?

Note that in both shared folders and team folders, any additions, edits, or deletions that a member of the folder makes will sync to everyone else who's a member of that folder. 

There are a couple differences between shared and team folders. Team folders automatically give functional groups the correct access level (view or edit) to the content they need. Unlike team folders, shared folders can be shared with individual members.

Shared and team folders are also created differently. Only an Admin on your account can create a team folder, as team folders can only be made from within the Admin Console. This means that you can't convert an existing folder into a team folder.

Finally, it's important to note that you can't share a team folder outside of your team. In sub-folders of team folders individual team members and people outside the team can collaborate along with team members in groups.

To learn more about shared folders and team folders, check out our Help Center articles below: 

Shared folders - https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others 

Team folders -https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/business/team-folders 

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need anything else!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Best way to add a new member but not automatically add as a Team member to a business account

Dropboxer

Hey there @wally - so you'd like to share a folder with people outside of your Dropbox for Business team - right?

Have you tried sharing a folder with them or a link to the folder instead if you'd like them to have view only access?

Note that in both shared folders and team folders, any additions, edits, or deletions that a member of the folder makes will sync to everyone else who's a member of that folder. 

There are a couple differences between shared and team folders. Team folders automatically give functional groups the correct access level (view or edit) to the content they need. Unlike team folders, shared folders can be shared with individual members.

Shared and team folders are also created differently. Only an Admin on your account can create a team folder, as team folders can only be made from within the Admin Console. This means that you can't convert an existing folder into a team folder.

Finally, it's important to note that you can't share a team folder outside of your team. In sub-folders of team folders individual team members and people outside the team can collaborate along with team members in groups.

To learn more about shared folders and team folders, check out our Help Center articles below: 

Shared folders - https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others 

Team folders -https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/business/team-folders 

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need anything else!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?