cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Team Admins access a member's personal folder when on a Dropbox for Business Teams account?

Can Team Admins access a member's personal folder when on a Dropbox for Business Teams account?

FeverTree34
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, 

Our company has a business account. I notice that business accounts now have a personal folder set up with users names as default. Who can get access to this folder? Does any level of admin have automatic access or are there other ways to view the files inside this folder?

Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @FeverTree34 - how are you today?

If you're referring to the purple folder you see online, note that each member of your Dropbox Business team has access to their own. Read on for more context:

Content in the member folder defaults to being private to each team member, though they can share it with anyone they want. Additionally, folders that users outside of your Dropbox Business team share with your team members will be stored in the recipient’s member folder to ensure it’s not shared with other team members accidentally.

Also, member folders are colored purple to differentiate them from the team space, and they’re automatically named after each team member.

If you want to share something you own in your member folder with your team, you can move it into the team space by clicking on the […] next to it and selecting “move”, or by dragging and dropping it using the Dropbox desktop client.

I hope this clears things up and I remain at your disposal should you come up with any additional questions. 

Happy 2020!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @FeverTree34 - how are you today?

If you're referring to the purple folder you see online, note that each member of your Dropbox Business team has access to their own. Read on for more context:

Content in the member folder defaults to being private to each team member, though they can share it with anyone they want. Additionally, folders that users outside of your Dropbox Business team share with your team members will be stored in the recipient’s member folder to ensure it’s not shared with other team members accidentally.

Also, member folders are colored purple to differentiate them from the team space, and they’re automatically named after each team member.

If you want to share something you own in your member folder with your team, you can move it into the team space by clicking on the […] next to it and selecting “move”, or by dragging and dropping it using the Dropbox desktop client.

I hope this clears things up and I remain at your disposal should you come up with any additional questions. 

Happy 2020!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

FeverTree34
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I just want to confirm that no one, not even the company dropbox admin (or super admins) are able to see anything in the individual purple folders. 

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, you're correct  @FeverTree34 . No one accept you will be able to access your personal folder (the purple one) - not even your team's admin(s).

Let me know if this helps! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

FeverTree34
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Great, thank you for the answer!

JimmyWang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

But I found that if Admin delate my account, my personal folder will transfer to admin. 

So, no one will be able to access my personal folder when I am using the bussiness account. However admin can see them in a strange way.

Need more support?