cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can members of a free team see my personal files?

Can members of a free team see my personal files?

William T.17
New member | Level 2

So this page:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/218

says:

"If you join a free team you retain full control of your account. However, if any member of your team upgrades to Dropbox Business, they will then have access to—and control of—the accounts of anyone else on the team."

what this sounds like to me is if I join this team I was invited to, and any member decides to upgrade to Dropbox Business, then all my personal files can be viewed.  That can't be right, but this is what it says.  What do you think?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard P.
Super User alumni

The upgrade to Business converts the *entire* Team account to a Business one - the person doing the upgrade becomes the Business admin, and that admin has full 100% access to all files in the entire Business account, including any files held outside of the Team folder in third party accounts that have been converted to a Business license in the process.

If you don't want that to happen, use a second account for your Teams use or create a new Personal account during the Teams onboarding process.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard P.
Super User alumni

That is correct and that is precisely why it says it - if a member decides to upgrade the team to a Business account, they become admin and can see your personal files.

That is why that warning exists.

William T.17
New member | Level 2

others have suggested the admin accessgranted by Dropbox Business upgrade is only to personal files within the team folder?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204431793-Can-team-members-gain-acces-to-my-pe...

thoughts?  I'm confused by this.  I have existing folders which need to remain private and don't want to compromise this by joining a free team.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

The upgrade to Business converts the *entire* Team account to a Business one - the person doing the upgrade becomes the Business admin, and that admin has full 100% access to all files in the entire Business account, including any files held outside of the Team folder in third party accounts that have been converted to a Business license in the process.

If you don't want that to happen, use a second account for your Teams use or create a new Personal account during the Teams onboarding process.

View solution in original post

Digital Skills
New member | Level 1

Does this include folders shared to other team members from a different account?

-So User1 and User2 are members of Team1
-User3 (not a member of Team1) shares a folder with User1-User2 upgrades to business and can now access User1 content but does that include the content shared with User1 by User3

Thanks
gR

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?