cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only install with "Run as administrator", possibly causing sync'ing problems

Can only install with "Run as administrator", possibly causing sync'ing problems

Dan C.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On Windows 7, my account is the administrator account, yet I could only install dropbox by running the install file 'as administrator' (right-click > Run as Administrator). I received a warning when doing this saying that Dropbox may not work properly but I was forced to ignore it because there was no other way for me to install. When I tried installing normally the install process would just disappear instantly with no error message or explanation. Nothing happened!

So now I have it installed and my 'live' folder is not sync'ing to the files on my dropbox account. I suspect this is the problem I was warned about when I had to install 'as Administrator'. Is that likely to be the case? And how in the hell can I install Dropbox normally? I've searched the web and am very surprised not to find a solution to this out there. Surely it can't just be me who's come across this issue.

11 Replies 11

Sean C.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Check the permissions on your %TEMP% directory; I had the same issue which compatibility mode did not fix so dug deeper and discovered the default permissions to my 'C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp' directory were incorrect (make sure the user has at least modify permissions to create/delete here).

Elgin C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sean, I have tried all of those solutions, for some reason i receive an error and cannot change when i try that as well, its all very frustrating. thank you thought, because I know all these things are supposed to fix it ... 😕

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Elgin C. New member | Level 1
    Sean C.14 New member | Level 1
    Dan C.6 New member | Level 1
    Ronan B.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?