cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run Dropbox unless it has administrator rights

Can't run Dropbox unless it has administrator rights

Sammy G.
New member | Level 1

Windows 7 64bit
For some reason dropbox doesn't start with startup anymore because it needs administrator rights to start. If I try running the app normally without administrator rights, nothing happens, I see the cursor change to waiting for a few secs and then nothing. But if I right click and "run as administrator" it runs fine. This means dropbox can't run on startup. Any reason for this?

Should also mention that my account is an admin account.

22 Replies 22

Greg K.21
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem and it is coming not from dropbox but from windows. I have other applications (MATLAB) that stopped working unless you run them as administrator. The reason is that something changed the access privileges to C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\Temp. I understand that this directory is used by many applications including dropbox. Unfortunately I was not able to change user rights (windows does not let me) and continue to run dropbox and MATLAB as administrator.

John1
New member | Level 1

Thanks Greg! In my case some other application messed up permissions on the Temp folder, but I was able to fix them easily (I was logged on account with admin privileges though).

sfantudoodle_x
New member | Level 1

What solved this problem for me (not saying is going to to it for everybody else) was to delete everything in C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\Temp folder. There were 3 or 4 files starting with dropbox..... (can't remember the exact names) which I couldn't delete only after restarting windows in Safe Mode. So, I deleted everything in Temp folder while in Safe Mode, rebooted normally and voila, dropbox started after logon on it's own. Cheers!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sfantudoodle_x New member | Level 1
    John1 New member | Level 1
    Greg K.21 New member | Level 1
    sunshine m. New member | Level 1
    Sathish R. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?