cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Save Excel file on Windows 10

Cannot Save Excel file on Windows 10

New member | Level 2

I am running Windows10 and Office365. I can only save Excel files to the parent dropbox folder or the  level below that. If I try and save an excel file to any sub-folder of the second level it states that save-failed. I have tried multiple folders and I get the same message.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot Save Excel file

Helpful | Level 6

Here is the alert. I work through this with my IT (lots of testing and trial/error). It is not a Dropbox issue. It is all Microsoft Excel's limit in total file path characters (with spaces and / in path). We are on a Mac platform so file lenght isn't an issue for us typically. The only work around until Microsoft get the hint is to shorten file/folder names in the front end of the file path or move the file up a folder level (to short the characters in the path).

Screen Shot 2018-04-17.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Super User II

@StreamlinedEnv wrote:

If I try and save an excel file to any sub-folder of the second level it states that save-failed.

Holw long is the path to these sub-folders (full path from the top of the drive to the file you're saving, including filename)? Windows has a maximum path length of 260 characters (with some exceptions). Excel has an even shorter max path length of 218 characters. If the total number of characters in your filename, including the full path, exceeds the max, you'll receive errors.

New member | Level 2
Total number of characters for the path including file name is around 100 so well below the limit.

Helpful | Level 6

As of the latest Excel update, the ENTIRE path/filename length limit for Excel is 255 characters. That includes the spaces and / characters. Try moving the Excel file up one file level and see if it work there. It’s all a Microsoft problem.

Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping us in the loop here StreamlinedEnv!

If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you include a screenshot of the error message (omitting personal info) in your next post here, so as to have a closer look with you? 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply, in order to investigate what’s happening together! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Here is the alert. I work through this with my IT (lots of testing and trial/error). It is not a Dropbox issue. It is all Microsoft Excel's limit in total file path characters (with spaces and / in path). We are on a Mac platform so file lenght isn't an issue for us typically. The only work around until Microsoft get the hint is to shorten file/folder names in the front end of the file path or move the file up a folder level (to short the characters in the path).

Screen Shot 2018-04-17.png

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Hey @ArtMills, thanks for dropping by and posting your suggestions! Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?