cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Share Files Anymore from Computer with Right Click Copy Link

Cannot Share Files Anymore from Computer with Right Click Copy Link

Explorer | Level 3

We've recently changed to a Business account and I no longer have the option to right click and share files from my work computer. I can share them online and I can share them on my laptop at home. I have turned on accessiblity and restarted the finder and restarted my computer. I have also reinstalled the Dropbox app several times. The files on my work computer do sync to my online account but I cannot share them like I used to be able to with a personal account.

5 Replies 5

Re: Cannot Share Files Anymore from Computer with Right Click Copy Link

Dropboxer

Hey there @flipflop  - sorry to hear about this.

Could you send me the exact status of the app as shown on the affected device at the moment? 

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

If you could also attach a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on your files, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

Dropbox is done syncing. I see the 'Up to date' message. Attached are 2 screen shots. One shows that there is no indication that these files/folders on on dropbox--there isn't a checkmark next to the name. The second screen shot is what I see when I right click. 

Thanks.
Sarah

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 1.04.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-22 at 1.05.19 PM.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots Sarah!

Unfortunately, I don't see the app's status on those and based on your screenshot - as your syncing icons are missing from your files - I'd guess that the desktop app on this computer is either not running or installed properly. Another cause of this, could be that these files are not within your Dropbox folder at all. 

In any case, can you include the app's status in a screenshot in your next response and the exact file paths for the depictes files and folders? 

By the way, did you install the desktop app with admin rights on this specific device in the first place?

At this point, could you maybe try un-linking and re-linking your account so as to let it rebuild your database and let me know how it goes?

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

That is the problem--there is no dropbox app status on my computer files--they don't show up so I cannot copy links & share them.

How do I install the desktop app w/ admin rights? I installed it the same way I did on my laptop--my laptop works w/ Dropbox but my desktop computer does not. They are both Macs. The only difference I can think of is that my laptop has Mojave OS and my desktop has Sierra. I don't know if that matters.

I have reinstalled the app several times to try to get it to work. I have many files so it takes hours to re-sync.

Sarah

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists Sarah and thanks for the additional information too.

As I wanted to have a better look into this, I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can work on this together.

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation so far. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?