cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Change Dropbox folder to existing location with shared permission on local

Change Dropbox folder to existing location with shared permission on local

Alex56
New member | Level 2

After i re-installed dropbox app. I could not use existing dropbox folder 

error: This folder already contains a dropbox directory. 

How can I re-use existing dropbox folder location without removing all shared permission locally. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Alex, in order to do so, I’d recommend first starting with an advanced reinstall of the app to clear the existing settings.

During the setup of the app, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option. Then you need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: D:\Files\Dropbox you would need to choose D:\Files and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder.

If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Alex, in order to do so, I’d recommend first starting with an advanced reinstall of the app to clear the existing settings.

During the setup of the app, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option. Then you need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: D:\Files\Dropbox you would need to choose D:\Files and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder.

If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Need more support?