cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Client joined Team, now name is linked between Team and personal account

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey all,

Hopefully I'm in the right section with this one! 

Recently, we've had a client using Dropbox report an issue with changing the name of team members affecting the name of said team member's personal Dropbox account too.

For example, we have jane@hotmail signed up for a Basic Dropbox account, with the full name as Jane Doe. So if she were to share files with someone else, you'd get "Jane Doe wants to share files with you". So far so good.

But now Jane has been invited to join a Dropbox Team via a different e-mail address. This business account has the full name of Business Employee, for example. Both accounts are now linked and can be synced via the Dropbox app, or reached via the website.

What I've found is that if you change the full name in either the personal Basic Dropbox account, or the Business Team account, then that name gets pushed to the other account too. Both accounts now ALWAYS have the same name.

We don't want that. Jane needs to be able to keep her own name on her Personal account so she can use that however she wants. At the same time if she were to share files from the company Team folders, it would need to be shared in name of that Business account, not Jane Doe.

We're dealing with two seperate accounts, originating from two seperate e-mail addresses, but for some reason joining the Business account to the Basic account so that both sets of files can be synced on the same computer causes the two accounts to have identical full name details. I'm sure there's a good reason for that... But the logic escapes me.

Anyone got any idea on how to break this link?

If anyone's got any further questions, feel free to fire away!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Client joined Team, now name is linked between Team and personal account

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @J3ff, thanks for posting today!

The name as it appears on a Dropbox account, as you know, can be changed on this page on the account itself.

However, if the account is paired between a Dropbox Business plan and a personal account, then the name would apply to both accounts. It isn’t possible to have a separate name for each account while they are connected to each other.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this as a possibility in the future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @J3ff, thanks for posting today!

The name as it appears on a Dropbox account, as you know, can be changed on this page on the account itself.

However, if the account is paired between a Dropbox Business plan and a personal account, then the name would apply to both accounts. It isn’t possible to have a separate name for each account while they are connected to each other.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this as a possibility in the future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks! Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but I'll have to make do. I'll be sure to suggest a change for this.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?