cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted account

Deleted account

LL-CTM
Explorer | Level 4

About 6 weeks ago I joined someone else's Team, not realizing it would give them the ability to (accidentally) delete my Dropbox Plus account entirely. I'm not sure when my account was deleted because I never received an email or alert from Dropbox. I just realized I've been signed out of all my devices & I can't sign in online. I can see the instructions about how to restore my account & convert it back to an individual account, but I'm not sure the Admin of the Team can recover it. I think it's been more than 7 days. Is there any other way to recover it?

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

The only way to recover it is via the Admin of the Team - you need to ask them. If they are unable to do it due to the length of time etc. then no, I'm sorry, its lost. 

They may however have told Dropbox to keep a copy of your data when deleting the account as part of the removal process by archiving it - ask them if they can restore that if they did it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LL-CTM
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Mark! That's unfortunate though. I joined the Team on a short-term project basis & I expect too much time as elapsed. I don't think the Admin meant to permanently delete my account, and Dropbox did not contact me to let me know it was being deleted or provide an option to transfer my account back to a Plus account. This would be a nice feature to have, since not all Admin's know how to navigate the options properly. Now that my account's gone & I have to re-upload samples of work for clients, I'm not certain Dropbox is the best place for me anymore. I'll probably switch to Google Drive or Vimeo.

Mark
Super User II

I suppose the thing is that when you become part of a team you are saying 'you are owned by that company' and as such when you leave it isnt really right to get an email saying 'take all your data with you'. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LL-CTM
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah, I hear your point. I didn't expect to take away any data that we shared on the project. Clearly joining a Team in a freelancer situation was a mistake and a choice made in haste. We were just trying to share assets. It would still be nice to get an alert... Something like, 'hey, your account's been deleted from Team 'X', check with your Admin.' You've got 7 days before everything's gone!

Chazza
Helpful | Level 5

I have just done exactly this.

I am also freelancer who was trying to access files from a client. They are new to Dropbox and didn't really know how Dropbox Business works, similar to me, I use Dropbox Plus for my needs.

There was nothing when I joined the team to explain I was allowing this person complete control over my whole Dropbox account (which I have had for years since it's inception!) 

So when I emailed him asking him to remove me from the Team, he then has the ability to completely remove ALL of my Dropbox files, and suspend me!? 

Luckily for me I have managed to get him to restore my account. But currently waiting for 1000s of files to download and cannot access what I currently need. Massive oversight from Dropbox. Disappointed. 

Need more support?