cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download old team folder contents, upload to new team folder

Download old team folder contents, upload to new team folder

Explorer | Level 4

My nonprofit has had two Dropbox business accounts. I have access to both. One is called "administrator" and one is called "cdobbs." The administrator account is defunct. We quit paying for a business plan on that account last year, but there are still many important files on that account's team folder.

We bought the business account for cdobbs last week. I need to move two large folders ("Public" and "Allison") - the entirety of administrator's team folder - to the cdobbs account. I want cdobbs to be the owner of the Public and Allison folders and I, ideally, want to avoid having to use the administrator account ever again.

I had two long chat sessions with Dropbox assistance on Thursday. I have shared Public and Allison from administrator to cdobbs, but I can't change the owner of Public or Allison as described in this help article - https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/242 - which I've had sent to me multiple times. In short, when I click the share button in the administrator account for Allison and Public, there is no "change owner" option. Dropbox help suggested I download Public and Allison and reupload them to cdobbs. That's fine.

That workaround didn't work, and now I need another workaround. When I go to the administrator account and click download, my computer recieves a 0 kb "unspecified" file. 

I don't know how to continue here. I can't download the old folders and I can't change their ownership. 

Thanks for your time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Download old team folder contents, upload to new team folder

Dropboxer

Hey cdobbs

Thanks for the detailed description of the case, much appreciated!

Just to clarify, you have transferred the contents between the two Dropbox Business accounts and now you 'd only like to change the owner, am I right? 

Please note that, if you have added the shared folder to your account online, the contents would be synced down to your desktop, so a workaround would be to just drag and drop the folder on the desktop. This would automatically remove your access from the shared folder on the website, whereas you would be able to keep the contents. You can then rename the folder with a slightly different name and re-add it on the Dropbox folder on your desktop. From this point onwards, you can re-share it again (either from the website or your desktop). Please bear in mind that this is a workaround and will not permanently transfer the ownership, though I could follow-up on your open support request, so as to get a better insight into the case!

Looking forward to getting a ticket ID, in order to further troubleshoot more with you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Super User II
Only the owner of a shared file can change the owner. So when the Business account was closed the admin would lose admin rights on it and it would revert back to the person who set it up.

Without doing it as a shared folder you are either going to need to download in small increments from the website (sounds like your error is because you are downloading too much in one go - 10,000 files or 2gb I believe is limit on zip files) you need to do it as you say and install and log on to that account.

Another possible way, actually, could be to share from the new -> old account, log on via the web interface to old account and move all files in to that share. This, again, however may need doing in small chunks.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Hey cdobbs

Thanks for the detailed description of the case, much appreciated!

Just to clarify, you have transferred the contents between the two Dropbox Business accounts and now you 'd only like to change the owner, am I right? 

Please note that, if you have added the shared folder to your account online, the contents would be synced down to your desktop, so a workaround would be to just drag and drop the folder on the desktop. This would automatically remove your access from the shared folder on the website, whereas you would be able to keep the contents. You can then rename the folder with a slightly different name and re-add it on the Dropbox folder on your desktop. From this point onwards, you can re-share it again (either from the website or your desktop). Please bear in mind that this is a workaround and will not permanently transfer the ownership, though I could follow-up on your open support request, so as to get a better insight into the case!

Looking forward to getting a ticket ID, in order to further troubleshoot more with you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

This is resolved. I copied the folders on my desktop and uploaded them to my new business account. Thank you for your help.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?