cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox account deleted from team after job has finished. How can I get my account back?

Dropbox account deleted from team after job has finished. How can I get my account back?

swidy
New member | Level 2

Hi,

When I accepted a busness account for a job, my personal dropbox got merged. Now that the job has finished, they deleted the business account and my personal account got deleted also. I cannot login under my oririnal dropbox account and my files are lost.

What can I do? How do I get my account back?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Re: dropbox account deleted

Rich
Super User II

@swidy wrote:

Now that the job has finished, they deleted the business account and my personal account got deleted also. ... What can I do? How do I get my account back?

The team admin for the business account would need to restore your account and then convert it back to an individual account.

swidy
New member | Level 2

So does this mean I depend on the original administrator from that business dropbox?

However, that person couldn't 'see' my personal dropbox.

When I accepted that dropbox invite my personal was automtically merged, and nested within that business dropbox. I couldn't pull it out myself! Is there no way, how I can get my account back, by myself???

westhighland
Explorer | Level 3

same thing happened to me. The Dropbox system is set up to let someone else delete your account, without permission from you. When you merge accounts, there should be some warning that doing so means Dropbox are handing over complete control of your personal data to a third party. Dropbox Support wrote that when the business account deleted, the system "should have reinstated your previous (personal) account" - I'm still trying to get an answer on why that didn't happen. Flawed system!

Mark
Super User II

@westhighland 

You are warned this is the case repeatedly when onboarding as part of a Team/Business plan - in fact its why Dropbox almost forces you to set up a new account when joining the team. Unfortunately if you've not read the information given on screen when setting it up thats not Dropbox's fault.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

westhighland
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark - in UK, you don't get "repeat warnings" about the loss of control when you accept another invitation. There  is one pop-up window that gives some broad headlines of merging the accounts or running with two - but it doesn't make it clear at all that should you go for the merge, that means giving full and final control of existing files to someone else forever.  

When i checked about the system, your colleague told me that when it's meant to work that when the Team Admin of the business account closes your membership, all the files from the original account should be reinstated to its original format. that didn't happen for me and the person who removed me from their Business Account said they were not aware they had been given control of my personal account, or that they were deleting my files. So there are defo flaws in the system, and the information you have conflicts with the message that your colleague gave me. I'm sorry to be frustrated but my experience of using Dropbox has been very challenging, i hope you understand.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?