cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel file shortcut won't open from Dropbox

Excel file shortcut won't open from Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

My co-worker is having problems looking at a excel document that i shared with her...  It is saying something like .ink files can't be previewed and i believe there is a horse or something...  It could possibly be a shortcut file.. but i have tried correcting it but not sure i have...    I get the same message but i can click the download button and it will downlad for me and open but i do get the horse image and the .ink files cant be previewd

email address is:  [removed]

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Excel Document

Super User II

A shortcut file is just that; a shortcut to the original. It's a pointer to the original file. When you open a shortcut on your computer, your operating system knows to look for the original file and open that instead. If you copy the shortcut to another computer or sync it through a service like Dropbox, it's no longer valid. It points to a location that doesn't exist. This is why it works for you but no one else.

You need to put the original file in Dropbox and let that sync to your co-worker. Shortcuts and links won't work.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Excel Document

Super User II

A shortcut file is just that; a shortcut to the original. It's a pointer to the original file. When you open a shortcut on your computer, your operating system knows to look for the original file and open that instead. If you copy the shortcut to another computer or sync it through a service like Dropbox, it's no longer valid. It points to a location that doesn't exist. This is why it works for you but no one else.

You need to put the original file in Dropbox and let that sync to your co-worker. Shortcuts and links won't work.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]  

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?