cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files will not open

Files won't open on my computer through 3rd party apps. What's the problem?

Hans77
New member | Level 2

Using a Mac laptop and recently installed Dropbox business, and now have both my personal Dropbox and work dropbox running in parallel. The laptop has limited storage space, so I'm not syncing all the files on the work dropbox, but just the folders I need to use regularly.

I can't seem to open files from these folders in external apps, however. If I attempt to open a file from Word or Illustrator, or attach a file in a browser email client the program just hangs and I get an endless swirling rainbow. Eventually I have to force stop the program.

If however I go in to Dropbox first and try to open the file from the folder files open just fine. What's going on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there, @Hans77.

I’d like to ask you a few questions to clarify the matter. Firstly, are you having this issue with all your files or is there only certain files affected? Are you trying to access the file through the same app that the file is opened with directly from the Dropbox folder?

Also, please can you let me know the current sync status of your Dropbox desktop application, you can click the Dropbox icon near your time display to see this.

If the issue is just within the Dropbox Business folder, are the files you are trying to open Smart synced? If you were to right click the file and choose “Smart sync - local”, let me know if you can then open the file through the 3rd party apps without issue.

Finally, for a better understanding, can you walk me through the exact steps you take when this issue occurs and include screenshots (excluding personal info) of the unexpected behavior/errors you see.

I’m looking forward to your reply, cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there, @Hans77.

I’d like to ask you a few questions to clarify the matter. Firstly, are you having this issue with all your files or is there only certain files affected? Are you trying to access the file through the same app that the file is opened with directly from the Dropbox folder?

Also, please can you let me know the current sync status of your Dropbox desktop application, you can click the Dropbox icon near your time display to see this.

If the issue is just within the Dropbox Business folder, are the files you are trying to open Smart synced? If you were to right click the file and choose “Smart sync - local”, let me know if you can then open the file through the 3rd party apps without issue.

Finally, for a better understanding, can you walk me through the exact steps you take when this issue occurs and include screenshots (excluding personal info) of the unexpected behavior/errors you see.

I’m looking forward to your reply, cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Hans77
New member | Level 2

All files on my Dropbox for business are affected. I can open the files from my personal dropbox just fine. My browser is set to open files from my dropbox business account by default since the last file I successfully uploaded came from there, any time I now try to upload anything to my browser the browser crashes, so can't share any screen dumps unfortunately.

The sync status? There's a green circle with a checkmark that says "uppdaterad" (updated in Swedish).

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey again, @Hans77.

Thanks for that additional info!

Could you please let me know how the files in your Dropbox folder, that you are trying to open, are synced?

If they are “Online-only” they will appear with this icon next to the file: 
If the files appear with this icon, please right click the file from your Dropbox folder and choose “Smart sync-local”. When you see the file appearing with a green tick icon instead of the grey cloud, please try and open the file through the 3rd party app. 

Let me know if you see the same behavior.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Hans77
New member | Level 2

It took a while  for the files to sync, but now it seems OK.

Thanks for your help!

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back with that update, @Hans77.

I’m glad to hear that this helped! Should you have any other issues with this, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Have a wonderful day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?