cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Forced to use single sign-on with university email address

Forced to use single sign-on with university email address

William Tolley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have had a paid account with Dropbox now for years and recently after moving to a different university for graduate school, I changed the email address to the one I use at the new university. This worked fine for over a year, but now when I try to log in it tells me that I must use single sign-on and give the university admin access to all of my personal files. This is unacceptable. To make matters worse, I had to create an account just to create a discussion here to get support.

I pay for a personal Dropbox account and do not want to share all of my files with the university. I really needed to get a document from my Dropxbox today for medical reasons and was unable to do so. I need support to change the email address or whatever I need to do so that I can download all my files and find a better cloud storage provider. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Tolley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Capitulated. I'm downloading and deleting everything and moving to another provider. Probably Box or self-hosted ownCloud.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @William Tolley, welcome to our Community! 

It sounds like your account is part of a Business team or has been invited to one.

Can you check on your account's plan and let me know? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

William Tolley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No, I can't because I can't log in without agreeing to make the university an admin. I believe that they have a business team or whatever, but my account was created over 8 years ago and is a paid plan. I don't understand how using an email address associated with them would suddenly restrict my access to storage that I pay for without giving them ability to see, modify, and delete everything.

William Tolley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Capitulated. I'm downloading and deleting everything and moving to another provider. Probably Box or self-hosted ownCloud.

tomnoltoun
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I did the same, there was no other choice. Especially when you had to register to read a new book. Also recently read heart of darkness essay, used https://studydriver.com/heart-of-darkness-essay/ for this. The book is wonderful and I had to use the university email. With others, registration simply did not work.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @tomnoltoun, sorry to jump in, but could you elaborate on the issue you're facing so that we can assist further? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?